Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like the appropriate section to post this in-

Do not know how to start exactly so here tis...

I acquired an 84 caprice classic, with the 305 - 700r4 - rear not for sure yet.

heres the questions.

1) Is the 5.0 in this thing the same as the one in the camero?

2) Are there kits out there to make the 84 305 into a FI device?

3) Are the 84 305 motors a good mild performance 305, or is this a bad year?

4) I am looking to upgrade the engine for some more power, can I do this without taking the engine out? bolt ons

5) I prefer the 2004r over the 700r4, can they just be switched with just a new cross member, bell housing, shorter drive shaft, and modifications to TV cable. Or is there more?

6) Did any non police car impalas/caprice come with gas engine 350's?

The thing I want is a good performing daily driver with fuel injection. I have read a lot on the caprices, but it seems all the modes are for mid to late 80's cars. If this is the same engine that is in the camero, then that would answer a lot of my questions.

Also, does anyone know of any good forums specifically for the caprice/impala.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Questions

1) Probably if you have the chev version of the 305..There is a BOP 5.0 that is a different motor..look at teh froncover to see if it is a chev..

2) there are kits edelbrock has one that will convert the early SBC to fuel injection..there may be some others as well..they come complete with their own stand alone computer..

3) the 305 has a small bore and will not accept the big valve heads so it is not the most popular performance engine version out there..good every day driver and some mild mods will wake it up a bit..for serious one neeus a 283/327/ 350/400 witht the big bores to accept serious heads..

4)There are some bolt ons that will help..look at manifolds..like an edelbrock performer..set of headers need the small tube kind for this motor..Course if you do the fuely deal that will be the big bolt on.. doing a cam change can help to wake it up as well..

5) Pontiac large cars used the 200r4 and are the some basic body so it shoudl be a bolt in deal to put the 200r4 in..

6) putting in a 350 is no big deal in these cars as the blocks and all the moumting points are the same..Give a much better bang for the buck than messing with the 305..

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know i have a chevy 305. i am wanting to know if that was also the same set up that was in the 84 camero, for after market product search. And i know that the 2004r will fit, but im wanting to know if the computer on the caprice will lock up the convertor the same as the OPB, but since will goin after market on the fi, will probably need to get a seperate lock up kit for that. Are there any other after market fi systems that work as well. i like having my options.

head work, headers, and efi, i know i can do with the motor in, but can i do that with the cam

not looking for a screamer , just a preformer. gotta save that for the ls-1

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Did Someone Say Caprice?

Well first off, the biggest speed gain you can get is in the gears. Your rear is a 7.5 inch 10 bolt most likely sporting 2.56 gears.

Personally I would stick with the 700R4 since it's already in there. You won't see much of a gain changing to a 200-4R, even though the 200-4R's gearing is better matched the 3.06 first gear in the 700R4 will give you a better hole shot.

Yes this is the same motor they used in the 84 Camaro, unless you mean the Z-28 Camaro, in that case it's the same with a slightly different cam.

Don't forget to add a mild cam.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I preffer the 2004r over the 700r4 because of the 1st to 2nd jump. If i was racing the thing everwhere I would propably keep the 700r4, but for the street i simply hate the fall after first. this car does not make much torque to compensate for the fall, i feel that it lacks on the street. The 2004r in my cutlass responds better for me, and i think the lock up in the converter in a little more resoponsive. I was thinking about getting on from the bowtie tranny place, with the convertor lock up kit.

so if i order stuff that is mad for that year camero, i should be ok?

what kinda set up do you have on your car? Nice burn :thumbup:

·
1,821 Posts
What parts do you need to have made that you would order for a camaro? I agree the first second shift sucks, especially with our high gears. Mines stock except for the exhaust system.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ghetto Jet said:
What parts do you need to have made that you would order for a camaro? I agree the first second shift sucks, especially with our high gears. Mines stock except for the exhaust system.
Not getting your question. I will be looking for an exhaust system, gona make me one of those fancy double hump cross members for the duals-yeeeee haaaw. Id rather have a bolt on kit than a weld in, you hear anything good about a particular kit?

·
1,821 Posts
MRGM said:

so if i order stuff that is mad for that year camero, i should be ok?

My question was what parts would you order for a camaro that you couldn't just order for a caprice.

No one makes exhaust kits for 77-90 Caprices, just have to find a good local guy to do it.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ghetto Jet said:
My question was what parts would you order for a camaro that you couldn't just order for a caprice.
No one makes exhaust kits for 77-90 Caprices, just have to find a good local guy to do it.
what i ment was if i did a search for a camero, id get more products that if i searched for a caprice.

if they have an exhaust for the camero, should it not fit the caprice, same frame, engine, tranny. should fit, right????:confused:

·
1,821 Posts
MRGM said:
if they have an exhaust for the camero, should it not fit the caprice, same frame, engine, tranny. should fit, right????:confused:
nope, I wish it did, but it's a different frame, crossmember, body length. I would not fit. The motor and trans are the same but the dimensions of the Camaro and Caprice are very different.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that sucks, what abou the monte :confused: should have the same frame as some 4dr gms, like buick, and olds-or was caprice just plain diffrant.:smash:

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Instead of buying another transmission, take the money and buy a 350, and keep the 700r4.

Troy:rolleyes:

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
troy-curt said:
Instead of buying another transmission, take the money and buy a 350, and keep the 700r4.

Troy:rolleyes:
not looking for a screamer , just a performer. gotta save that for the ls-1
Also, they do check for emissions on modified cars here in town. I CAN just throw any 350 in, but it will not be e-legal for the sniffer, and will be a headache trying to make it. soooo i will wait for my ls-1 with components. For now I want to add some power and reliability to the engine, nothing really radical.

Oh, and i HATE the 700r4 just because of the 1 to 2 fall out-go fig.:thumbup:

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
I run several different 350 with the 700, they will smoke the tires under full throttle on the 1st to 2nd shift. It is a heavier duty trans. than the wimpy 200. A stock 350 is not a "screamer". It will pass emissions tests just like the 305. I was just suggesting where your money would be better spent. The best way to learn, is to do it like you want to.

Troy:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I would not upgrade the 305. If you put better flowing heads on it and a cam you'll likely gain nothing in the quarter bcause all you're doing is making up for the low end power you lost a few R's later.

Put gears in it, and leave it till you want a 350.

K

·
Registered
2 Posts
MRGM said:

heres the questions.

1) Is the 5.0 in this thing the same as the one in the camero?

2) Are there kits out there to make the 84 305 into a FI device?

3) Are the 84 305 motors a good mild performance 305, or is this a bad year?

4) I am looking to upgrade the engine for some more power, can I do this without taking the engine out? bolt ons

5) I prefer the 2004r over the 700r4, can they just be switched with just a new cross member, bell housing, shorter drive shaft, and modifications to TV cable. Or is there more?

6) Did any non police car impalas/caprice come with gas engine 350's?

The thing I want is a good performing daily driver with fuel injection. I have read a lot on the caprices, but it seems all the modes are for mid to late 80's cars. If this is the same engine that is in the camero, then that would answer a lot of my questions.

Also, does anyone know of any good forums specifically for the caprice/impala.
1. Yes except for the FI sysyems for the most part, most of the 305's in firebirds and camaros were Tuned port engines or TBI motors, tuned port i think was more popular but didnt arrive until 85-86 model years IIRC
edit:
not sure but the pre 85-86 probably were q-jets (carbed) camaros and firebirds probably didnt get TBI

2. yes there are kits, but they are very expensive, 85 or 86 and newer caprices IIRC have the TBI fuel injection and with the stock gears and such would net you around 20mpg - 23ish just yank the intake and TB, harness and sensors from a junkyard car much cheaper, heck the same system was on 305 equipt trucks.

3. All 305s are turds and not very good performers. For the same money you could build a 350 and swap it into the car in a day and have a MUCH better performer, still pass smog (the motor is factory equipt on police package vehicles) all 305's are about the same and all are boat anchors. The FI 305's had more HP and torque but that was only due to the better fuel delivery system and maybe some mild headwork if any.

4. There are bolt on mods, the tuned port setup would be a nice touch as would a nice exaust system, but most would have to be custom bent at a local shop if you want duals. Gears are the best bet as the cars have most common a 2.73 gear (IIRC) and these alone are dogs. a 3.xx or higher gear would be much better. even with a 4.10 gear with the 30% overdrive on the 700r4 will keep the rpms at around 2-2300k at 70mph as will it make the 1st second drop less noticeable (i have a 350 700r4 and 4.10s with a limited slip in my jeep)

5. Why make all the mods for a 200r4? you would be downgrading and would regret it in the future. Spend the money on gears or a nice tuned port swap.

6. as far as i know non police package cars in this model year with 350s are rare or non existant, most had towing packages if they had it and less then 1 or 2% of the cars got 350s. I havnt found a lot of info on this.

7. the engine and tranny are the same as a f-body (camaro firebird) but the similarities end there. the caprice is a B-body car. a good DD and a good performer can be made with the car and it is rare that it happens. My friends all think i am on crack for wanting to build my b-body. But can you think of a better sleeper? I smoke mustangs with the jeep... i would LOVE to do it with a caprice. Wish i could afford an LS2 motor for it though or a 454 build even :D

run the 305 till it dies, make bolt on mods maybe even a cam, but DONT waste a lot of cash trying to build it. Get a 350 block and build that on the bench, kill the 305 and swap the 350 in then tie the 305 to a rope or chain and attach to your favorite boat.

HTH and good luck

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Camaros/Firebirds/& Trans Am are unibody (no frame) "F" body cars

Rear wheel drive LeMans/Grand Prix/Malibu/Monte Carlo/Bonneville (the smaller one)/Cutlass/Chevelle/Laguna/ etc. are "A" body cars until 1981 when the were redisgnated "G" body.

The Caprice/Impala/Delta 88/ and many others were "B" body cars.
An exhaust kit for the Older "A" body cars will be close to fitting the post 1977 "B" body cars.

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
i own a drive an 84 camaro, 305 th700r4.
my first to second isnt bad except that if i dont let off the gas when it shifts at say 3500 rpms it will sqeek the tires,lol. i dont know much about my car but i think i have a shift kit in the trans, or do all 700r4s shift that hard. i no that 1st to 2nd is a hard shift when racing usually sqeeks the tires and then 2nd to 3rd if i shift it manually at about 4500rpms theres a jerk and it keeps pulling. most of my driving consists of letting off the gas during shifting just to make the ride smoother. by 305 is ok i guess, it has edelbrock performer intake and edelbrock carb 600cfm manual choke, im waiting for headers im still using the stock exhaust manifold but i think i should get more power with headers. i think the cam is stock but the last owner told me it had an edelbrock cam and some internal head work like the springs and lifters and such. i would say my camaro will beat any 305 in my area and will make a good run with a 350 maybe beat one when i get headers. i was also told my rear gears are 3.73's so that might be the reason for the extra power out of the hole but not that good when crusing, like if im in 3rd and a carrolla trys passing me when im going 45 and hes getting a run prolly at 55 to 60 at my back bumper and i punch it he still gets by. but if i down shift thats a different story,lol

·
ya just need a bigger hammer
46 Posts
This is a GM TBI yahoo group that has some good knowledge on caprices and any GM tbi .They are into these TBI engines deep and they have mod lists for you to try ,but you have to join.I've been a member for a year or more and everytime(with the exception of my last problem)I've had problem with my 91 caprice they had the answer, if nothing else its cool to see such a following for GM emission cars and trucks.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/GM_TBI/

The link now works>>>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts