Hot Rod Forum banner

my 400 small block!!

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  THADD 
#1 ·
ok wats up i'm reed i just got my first car a 81 monte carlo wtih a 400SB it's going to be my daily driver but like every young fool i will be racing (neighbor hood tradition) it has have a 350 turbo tranny witha SS shift kit floor shifter and now it has the stock rear end from when it was a V6 (ne one know what kind it is?) 2 1/2 strate pipe to flowmaster 40's. thats all i know bought it as is for 800 bucks (not to bad eh) so what do u guys think i should do to it

#2 ·
Why, what is wrong with it?

If it were mine and i had the money. I would find out what you have out back for a rear end. Upgrade to a posi and gears like a 373/410. Then upgrade the ignition system. Just some suggestions. That is if everything else is working good.

#3 ·
gpeak said:
Why, what is wrong with it?

If it were mine and i had the money. I would find out what you have out back for a rear end. Upgrade to a posi and gears like a 373/410. Then upgrade the ignition system. Just some suggestions. That is if everything else is working good.
nothings wrong with it just wondered what all i should do to it maybe get it running low 12's i donno what its puttin out now.

oh ya it has mallorey ignition, hooker headers, eddlebrock intake filter and carb

#5 ·
gpeak said:
I think you need to be a little more specific as to what you are looking to do. Do youwant to pull it and rebuild? Upgrade cam? What? First thing is to upgrade the rear end, you will notice a HUGE difference in better gears.
ya i am trying to get the rents to get my rear end rebuilt for xmas and i donno what i want to do to it i still need to figure out what its putting out now and stuff like that i was just looking for some ideas

#9 ·
For better ideas we need to know how it runs now, what's wrong with it (if anything)? Stuff like that. It's not like we are there and can say "you need this", or "you need that".
What transmission is there? Already have a shift kit?
Do you want to buy a stall?

Without tearing the engine down the biggest gain will be in the rear gears.

#10 ·
BoomerADF said:
Remember chrome doesn't equal faster... ;)
lmao ya it does oh man i have a bunch of stickers i still need to instal and some NAWWWWS

(^not realy) but actually i am thinking a 150 wet shot and keeping the motor preaty tame so i dont go bankroupt paying for gas

and this is my project car i get my license in 5months dont plain on street racing i run at maroso with my neighbors all the time its realy fun. the car should be in perfect condition by next may it needs paint body work a bunch of rust spots but all fixable!!

gpeak said:
For better ideas we need to know how it runs now, what's wrong with it (if anything)? Stuff like that. It's not like we are there and can say "you need this", or "you need that".
What transmission is there? Already have a shift kit?
Do you want to buy a stall?

Without tearing the engine down the biggest gain will be in the rear gears.
nothing wrong with it but sometimes the 350turbo tran doesnt like to go farward all the time it just doesnt shift into ne drive gears (drive 1st or 2nd) but that should be fixed by installing the linkage and cables for the floor shifter its still hooked up to the colum shifter um i am looking into a 2500 stall converter for a nice launch the rear end rebuild is a must and will probly take place around xmas

tm454 said:
The very first thing you need to do is get a license and go to the track...NO street racing Dude, that NOT acceptable here at hotrodders.com!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
perhaps u missunderstood its a kind of a thing around here to make regualar trips to the strip/track not illegal racing just a good day at the track but thanks for letting me know

#11 ·
First off, the car came with a 7.5 inch rear which will not last long behind a 400, especially if it ever hooks up. You`ll need to upgrade to a least a 8.2 at a minimum, if this car is to be a daily driver then I wouldn`t recommend gears any lower than 3.42`s, and if you set your 400 up to make lots of low end torque, which 400`s excell at, you don`t need a lower gear than that. if you went 3.73 or 4.11 it would be winding around 2800 rpm and higher at cruise speed which will eat a hole in your wallet at the gas pump. I would stab a cam in it with 224 duration @.050 and add a double roller timing chain with a set of matching valve springs, get a decent rear under it, add your 2500 stall converter, tune the carb and ignition to take advantage of your new cam, take it to the strip and see what time it runs. I doubt it`ll land you in the 12`s, but it will give you a baseline on what mods you`ll need to step up to in order to reach the 12`s. Adding a set of decent heads on it would also be a step in the right direction if the heads on it are stockers. But keep this is mind, don`t get rev happy with it, 400`s aren`t revvers, and with the torque they make it don`t need to rev to get you moving, I wouldn`t rev it past 5500 rpm, also keep a constant check on your oil.

#12 ·
DoubleVision said:
First off, the car came with a 7.5 inch rear which will not last long behind a 400, especially if it ever hooks up. You`ll need to upgrade to a least a 8.2 at a minimum, if this car is to be a daily driver then I wouldn`t recommend gears any lower than 3.42`s, and if you set your 400 up to make lots of low end torque, which 400`s excell at, you don`t need a lower gear than that. if you went 3.73 or 4.11 it would be winding around 2800 rpm and higher at cruise speed which will eat a hole in your wallet at the gas pump. I would stab a cam in it with 224 duration @.050 and add a double roller timing chain with a set of matching valve springs, get a decent rear under it, add your 2500 stall converter, tune the carb and ignition to take advantage of your new cam, take it to the strip and see what time it runs. I doubt it`ll land you in the 12`s, but it will give you a baseline on what mods you`ll need to step up to in order to reach the 12`s. Adding a set of decent heads on it would also be a step in the right direction if the heads on it are stockers. But keep this is mind, don`t get rev happy with it, 400`s aren`t revvers, and with the torque they make it don`t need to rev to get you moving, I wouldn`t rev it past 5500 rpm, also keep a constant check on your oil.
what gears would u say then because i was gonna go with a 3.73 posi which do u think i should get then? good to know i should get a bigger rearend i am look at a monte SS 3.73 posi from dixi monte carlos but i guess i will get different

#13 ·
bigreed said:
what gears would u say then because i was gonna go with a 3.73 posi which do u think i should get then? good to know i should get a bigger rearend i am look at a monte SS 3.73 posi from dixi monte carlos but i guess i will get different

That's what i would go with for the street. My dad has a Olds big block with 410's in a '69 short bed and gets better gas mileage than i do with the same set-up......i have less gears and a little more cam then he does(for now), and he gets better mileage. There is a HUGE difference between our two gears.....his being more fun to drive and quicker.

Also, with a big tank like that you need all the help you can get off the line.

#14 ·
You wont get 12s with gas milage,so figure out whats most important and stay on track. A 373 is a pretty good all around gear,but don't count on 12s,and don't expect great mileage,its just in the middle.

Its also a real popular gear,so if thats what you want and its a good deal,you better grab it up.

#18 ·
The only way your getting 12's with 12+mpg is with a MPFI setup in my opinion. 12's are possible but its going to take a lot of work and quite a few bils to get you there. At 15 I hope you have a great paying job or some loaded parents.

#20 ·
In addition to stuffin a tougher rear end in there, you are going to need to upgrade the upper and lower trailing arms and stuff new harder bushings in there...If You don't, it WILL wheelhop at the starting line and that is guaranteed to break stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.