Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 454 nercruiser is spitting gas out of the carb. I had a good mech look at it and bcause it wont start and he noticed the rotor is spinning in a ccw rotation .he asked if the original stater was on the motor ,I answerered no.so if I change the starter to spin in a cw rotation. is that a good start to getting the engine started??

·
Registered
847 Posts
About the only boat engines that are reverse rotation is older boats, that are direct drive, or in a twin engine boat, also direct drive. Mercruiser outdrives use the gears in the outdrive to accommodate a clockwise rotating engine, with a right hand propeller.

This is how you can tell if the engine is a reverse rotation engine.
Carefully look at the engine, and figure out if the first valve on the bank of cylinders is the exhaust, or intake valve.
Take the valve cover off, and rotate the engine by hand, with a breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley. In the correct engine rotation direction, the exhaust valve will open first, and just as it closes, the intake valve will open.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
That was my thought, twin inboards, Summit and Jegs both sell reverse rotation mini starters, and pricey, in the $550.00 range. Like DanielC suggests, they might be for older setups. I had twin Mercruisers with outdrives in a mid '80's Fiberform, they were both cw roation, motors and props.

Where did your starter come from?

·
Registered
973 Posts
MY 454 nercruiser is spitting gas out of the carb. I had a good mech look at it and bcause it wont start and he noticed the rotor is spinning in a ccw rotation .he asked if the original stater was on the motor ,I answerered no.so if I change the starter to spin in a cw rotation. is that a good start to getting the engine started??
Ayuh,.... My Guess is you've got the Wrong starter,....

As noted, Most marine motors are standard, Left-handed motors,...

Whether it's a standard left-handed motor, or a reverse rotation, right-handed motor, the distributor ALWAYS turns Clockwise...

With Reverse rotation right-handed Chevys, Only the crankshaft is reversed,...
The cam is gear driven, rather than chain driven, so it rotates clockwise,...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts