Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening , I have a '62 buick special with the v-6 fireball motor in it . This car was owned by one person before I came across it in a garage . An elderly woman was its owner .It has been sitting in this garage for 18 years . I dropped the gas tank , cleaning it and the fuel line out . Rebuilt the carburetor and put new gas hoses on . I should have checked out the fuel pump better but I didn't . I am not getting gas into the carb. , what should I do ? Also , I can't fire it up , even with a suspended temp. gas tank hanging over it .Does the bowl have to be filled by hand or primed with gas ? Or is it not getting spark , I'm working on it by myself and don't have the extra set of eyes or hands . PLEASE advise .....vince g

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Hi Vince...Welcome to Hotrodders. It would be best if you asked your questions in the Engine forum....that way the guys with the answers will see it. This is the Introduction forum. :welcome:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ops .....

I didn't know about different forums , I'll do better next time . I have a '62 Buick special with a v-6 motor . I can't get it started . NOW I know that I can pay for a better mechanic then myself to come over to my house and find the problem and fix it , but what fun would that be . Using a tester , I can't get juice anywhere . The battery has been charged so often , it hates to see me plug in the charger . All seriousness aside , where do I start to check . When the battery is fully charged , it drains down right away ... ... vince g :( :(

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
I would look at the fusable links that are usually attached to the starts main lug or come off of the battery cable somewhere. If you have no power one of them may have rotted out and broke. You say you have no power anywhere. I would suspect the links. They just usually look like a piece of wire. If it sat that long "something" may have eaten through them also. You also need to check for a proper ground to the body and the engine from the battery. If you keep charging the battery you are going to roast it. lead acid batteries dont take a lot of charges from if they are allowed to go completly dead.
That car has a fairly simple electrical system so it should not be hard to find the issue. You can buy fuse links at any good automotive store. If you have a multimeter and know how to use it yo should have no issues finding the electrical problem. Of course you will still have the fuel issue to deal with. If cant get fuel into the carb from a hanging can I suspect the float is stuck or installed improperly or the needle and seat is somehow not sitting correctly. If you can get the electrical issue fixed you may be able to fire by pouring a litte fuel down the carb throat. A few tea spoons will usually get it to fire. I dont recoment using starting fluid, if everything else is ok it should start on the gas

Good luck with it
Chet

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
If the car has an AMP meter----check that out, they fail on a regular basis and can do serious damage everywhere in your electrical (read FIRE).

FYI---might be a good idea to remove your street address from your profile.

'Cause now we know where you live and what car you have :evil:

All kidding aside--------- For your own privacy and protection

Bryan

Use an enemy or in-law address instead :evil:

Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts