Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normal driving it is fine shift at about 35 mph but put down the accelerator to the floor and it won't shift into 4th all the rest of the gears are fine/. 1987 Camaro 355 built.

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,051 Posts
What happens when you let up on the throttle and then floorboard it again does it come back out of 4th or stay in fourth.? Is your lock up working okay? Also are you absolutely certain that it's not hitting forth? Do you have a tach so you can be certain about whether it goes into 4th or not?

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,051 Posts
Thanks,Chrisley... I learn something nearly every day on this forum. But then I just got to thinking about something... The op must be running on the salt flats or something. I never even thought of full throttle in 4th before...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happens when you let up on the throttle and then floorboard it again does it come back out of 4th or stay in fourth.? Is your lock up working okay? Also are you absolutely certain that it's not hitting forth? Do you have a tach so you can be certain about whether it goes into 4th or not?
I've run it to 6500 and no shift, I haven't backed it off to shift to 4th and floored it again. Lock up I don't know , everything I've read doesn't give me the needed information.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GM designed the 700r4 to not upshift to 4th gear at WOT... Unless the valve body has a certain design TV valve sleeve assembly. DId your car up shift to 4th gear at WOT previously?
Really , now that's new to me , I've run it to 6500 no shift , I have a 4.11 ford 9 inch in it.30 inch tires. So it isn't going that fast.maybe 140 at the 6500. So how do you shift it then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some corvettes and police cars will upshift to 4th at full throttle, most others you have to ease up on the throttle to make the shift. Like Crosley said the tv plunger sleeve is different. Superior and Sonnax sell a sleeve that will do this, but it also makes the 4-3 downshift less sensitive, meaning you will have to give it more throttle than normal to get the forced downshifts.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
The information is all over the internet. No WOT upshift on a 700r4 to 4th gear. As 3w coupe mentions the corvette and other HP applications had the 4th gear up shift at WOT.

Corvette , Camaro, Firebird forums have the DIY mods listed in forums. As mentioned: Superior Solutions had a sleeve, TansGo had a sleeve they sold.. Search the internet. The information is there. As mentioned also: the dowshifts with throttle can be a bit goofy withe aftermarket kits. The OEM valve body with WOT upshift to 4th had a few different valve sizes and springs to make the unit shift well, timing was correct, higher RPM shifts, etc.. It really made a sweet working 700r4

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy cow who would even try to do that????.. guess I'm just old.... my 383 has never been above 4,000 rpm.... and 90 mph... oh well..
Just wondering normal shift points are higher then 4000 rpm, haven't you ever floored it ever. My redline is set at 5500 but I took it to 6500 to try to force a shift, that I now find out wont happen at wot. By the way it sounded good at 6500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.