Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Oct/04 a guy shows-up to look at my 73 In a few minutes he offers me $18,500 I agreed even-though I was hopping for a bit more. We shook hands no money change I promised I would hold the vettte for a few days till he gets the cash ready and finds a buddy to drive him to my place to pick-up the vette. Next day I get another call from another guy wanting to see the vette I told him the above story he said no problem he will come over look at it and if he liked it then he would make me an offer in the event the other guy does not show. Anyway the 2nd guy offers me $19,500. The 1st guy did show-up with cash as promised and he pick-up the vette. The 2nd guy called told him the vette was gone he sound it a bit disappointed.

Just a few weeks ago I see my vette with a for sale sign in a shopping parking lot. I called the guy the next day and the new owner tells me that his brother gave him the vette as a gift. I asked what the asking $$$ was he said he wanted to get rid of it asap and was asking $11,000. What do I do offer this crazy dude $9,000 I think he will take it. The down side is do I tell this dude that I sold the vette to his brother for 18,500 a year ago and if I don't what if his brother finds out that I bought it back at almost half price. I also have the number of the 2nd guy that looked at it.

What to do, what to do, Dam I thought old cars go up in value as they get older not the other way around.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I would buy the car for $11,000, and call the other guy back up and see if his 19,500 offer is still good. Do It Fast.

Unionville, PA? if so give me both their numbers and I'll buy and resell the car to keep your conscious clear.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Just buy it, whats the difference if you get it for 9k or some dude off the street? At least you know what's going on with it and how to treat it right.

Buy it. Its foolish for this guy to sell a gift like that anyway-

K

·
Laissez les bons temps rouler
168 Posts
I would buy it back then sell it again. That is if you don't get the hankerin to keep it for a few more years.

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I am seeing the guy on Friday and if it all goes well I will buy it. I may keep it or sell it.

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
Buy it. Why not, keep it sell it, it's up to you. If the guy is selling a gift, you shouldnt feel bad, its win/win for you.

I had an old toyota corona, I sold it for 800 bucks. 9 months later I get a notice from a mechanic. it says that the new owner left the car at his shop, he failed to pay the amount due on the car, and subsequently forfeited it to the shop. The Shop said I could have it for the amount owed (they sent this notice to all previoous owners of the car). I called thinking it would be way over 800$ ..turns out the guy only wanted 150$( it had been at his shop for 6 months) I bought it, resold it a week later for 800$ again..

sometimes things work out in your favor...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry for my boring story. I guess true stories are always boring. But I will update this thread if I buy back the vette.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I offered the guy $8,000 He said he will think abought it and let me know by Sunday. If it happens it will happen.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Wow Wow I can't believe it, This is my story I was Intrigue. The rest of the story. The brother did sell the vette for $10,000 to some one else, and I do see the Vette in the Toronto area. I guess once something is posted on the web it stays there for ever. Later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts