Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is my first foray into the Ford 9 inch rear end. Any rear end for that matter. I bought a used one out of a 1972 F100. Was taking a closer look at it today and I noticed that instead of the toothed pilot bearing retainer, it has a snap ring in a groove in the bore of the pilot bearing. Is it unusual? Or is this some kind of after market case? And yes, I know. It's filthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
the snap ring is part of the bearing---the pilot bearing goes out towards thew pinion, Ford used a odd looking spring clip ring which can be reused, you have to drive it back in with a round tube that pushes on the little teeth

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the snap ring is part of the bearing---the pilot bearing goes out towards thew pinion, Ford used a odd looking spring clip ring which can be reused, you have to drive it back in with a round tube that pushes on the little teeth
No, this one doesn't have the retainer with the teeth. If you can zoom in on the photo, you'll see the snap ring and the groove it is riding in. And this snap ring doesn't have holes in the ends you normally use snap ring pliers on.
Oops.
Actually no, my camera angle didn't capture the ends of the snap ring. I'll try to post a better picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Are you sure you dont have a 9 3/8"?

Lots of little changes between the 9 3/8" and 9". They would be found around the early 70's so you may have one.

I believe some of the cases have a diffrent rib which is easily noticeable. Lots of guys way more experenced with these then me on here that can tell what you have from 10 feet away just by spoting the case.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure you dont have a 9 3/8"?

Lots of little changes between the 9 3/8" and 9". They would be found around the early 70's so you may have one.

I believe some of the cases have a diffrent rib which is easily noticeable. Lots of guys way more experenced with these then me on here that can tell what you have from 10 feet away just by spoting the case.
Don't know if I've ever seen a 9 3/8. Another angle:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I found a picture of a 9 3/8 Truck. The vertical ribs are further apart and the top horizontal rib has a curve.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Automotive wheel system

The car looks similar sometimes with a cast cover over the pinion(unless the pinion support has been swapped).

That looks like a normal 9. If you pull out the bearing the correct bearing should will pop right in. It may be diffrent. But until its out and you can check it with a caliper your doing alot of guesswork.

If it has a good pattern and nothing is leaking out of the seals I would run it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, got a better pic of the snapring in my pinion shaft bore. the shaft itself measure about 1.1060 (according to my cheapo digital caliper). . The OD of the adjuster nuts for the ring gear measures about 2.89. so that all seems normal to me. I just haven't seen where a stock 9" would use a snap ring instead of the toothed retainer. Maybe some casting numbers and symbols might help?

Attachments

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
The snap ring and accompanying retainer on the inside of the pinion pilot look normal to me.
You have a standard 9" case with left side fill plug. It should work well for you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I've been watching this video, and at 14:17 he shows the retainer. Then he drives the bearing and the retainer out from the front of the case. Mine does not have the retainer he shows. And there is no way in hell I'll be able to drive my pinion pilot bearing out from the front without removing the snap ring.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,822 Posts
Who knows what jackwagon crap people do or even what sorta funkiness goes on with aftermarket stuff. Remove it with whatever means, replace it with whatever works. Or leave it alone I guess.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
lmsport is right with post #2.

What you think looks like a snap ring is actually the outer race of the roller bearing assembly.

He even gave you a link to the bearing and pics in post #10 that shows it.

It would become super obvious once you had the bearing out in your hand.
Bearing goes in from the front side of the case and is pushed in it's bore until it touches the machined lip on the backside of the bore. then the splined retainer is driven in last to hold it.

OK, I've been watching this video, and at 14:17 he shows the retainer. Then he drives the bearing and the retainer out from the front of the case. Mine does not have the retainer he shows. And there is no way in hell I'll be able to drive my pinion pilot bearing out from the front without removing the snap ring.

He is driving the bearing out from the rear of the case.....not the front.

This is after he has removed the pinion bearing support assembly that contains the front and rear pinion bearings and the pinion gear itself. It's the housing held in the front of the main case with 5 bolts.
You cannot see the splined retainer until you remove the pinion support housing assembly that holds the pinion gear.

That little bearing is called the pilot bearing, and is the third bearing that supports the end of the pinion gear head

You need to watch that video a few more times I guess, to get oriented with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts