Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have sprayed 2k hs clear Coat on my tractor roughly about 4 months ago and I can still leave a finger mark in it. It was sprayed in about 10 Celsius and I left it in the sun last week all week in 25 Celsius heat but is still not hard can anyone help me fix this thanks

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,392 Posts
Hello,
Welcome aboard...
Where are you located? Ours off to right ====>

Did you add hardener to it?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
10° Celsius (50° Fahrenheit) is a little cold for painting without a heated booth, and of course as Buzzlol says, did you add the correct activator (hardener) and mix it correctly (if you were in a heated booth that is).

·
True Hotrodder
1,327 Posts
One, the hardener was bad or improperly mixed and is not cross linking. Two, applying it that cold is at best difficult but with the temp up to 25c, it would have set if #1 was okay.

·
More for Less Racer
19,474 Posts
Yep, if it hasn't hardened by now, it never will set up. Catalyzed paints dry by the cross-link chemical reaction, not by solvent evaporation or heat/sunlight.

You could bake it an it still won't get hard...it might skin a little tougher, but if you were to cut through the skin you'll find it still gooey under the surface.

You don't have much choice but to either live with it soft, or strip it off and do it over.

Hardener was likely bad...it has a shelf life, and some brands don't like freezing either..

Also, if you open a can of hardener, use it up is 4-6 months or throw it away

1 - 5 of 5 Posts