Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a computer (named MOOK II) that I got from my dad when he got a new one. It runs about 700Mhz and I have it up to 300MB of RAM. The OS is WIndows 98, and once I load a program on the hard drive, the newly-installed program occasionally freezes up and quits back to the main screen just as if ya exited out of a program, but hitting no buttons.

Then on shutdown where it says "Windows 98...shutting down" it just sits at that screen forever then I just turn the stupid thing off.

WHat's wrong with it? I am thinking it's the hard drive, but I thought that I should ask first.

And yes when my dad was messin with it before I did, he did the "make-it-like-new-again" disk 3 times and it still was kinky.
:smash:

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Wipe and reinstall, probably the fastest way to fix your issues. Might want to save your irreplaceable files on removable media or a second hard drive first.

·
Left Nut, Right Nut....Squish!
363 Posts
You could be running too much RAM. Some computers are only designed to run well on 128mb or 256mb (tend to freeze and run slow with anything more) I know thats the way mine is :( :smash: :smash: I'm 500 and i can only run 128mb with out having freezes and crap.

Or you could be full of spyware. run a sweeper like adware, spybot search and destroy, spy sweeper etc. spyware can also cause slowness and freezing.

Have a good one and good luck to ya.

·
Registered
91 Posts
First off... Too much RAM does not crash Windows... what it will do is not allow your PC to boot up. You're safe there...

Second, when Windows gets a Fatal Crash Error (read: the whole damn thing just falls apart), it will immediately restart or Shut Down to protect itself from possible corruption... What this means is...

1. Windows has some messed up code, file, registry key, or program that is killing it.
2. The program which you run has some messed up code, file, registry key, etc. that is causing it to kill Windows.

Reformat the Hard Drive, clean install Windows, and make sure you take care into how and what you install on your PC.

9 times out of 10 - it's software (Windows) - the other 10% is human error. Hardware is rarely the culprit unless you run the thing 24x7x365. literally.

PM me if you need more info, otherwise, i hope this works.

edit: i just read the last sentence of your post which prompts me to simply say: go buy a new computer...the "make it like new" thingy may be a little.....um....nevermind.

·
363 Posts
First off... Too much RAM does not crash Windows... what it will do is not allow your PC to boot up. You're safe there...
I wouldnt have said that if I'm not in the same situation.

I got 2 128mb (256mb) ram chips installed and it only recognizes 127mb and still runs. I guess my pc is the only one in the world able to run over rammed. :eek: Some webcam shots of my ram and a screen shot of my system properties to show that I have 2 128's installed and only recognizes 127?

I'm just supporting my theroy. I know a pc will run over rammed.... mine does!

Heres a webcam shot of both 128mb ram installed. Tight squeeze with a flashlight and a webcam.

Herez my system info (start, program files, accesories,system tools, system information)

webcam shot of sys info so you dont think screencapture was edited.

I rest my case. just the fact of it saying 127mb ram on sys info should be proof enough.
How can you get two chips to add to an odd number, when they only make chips even numbered? ie: 32mb 64mb 128mb and 256mb...... just doesnt add up...

now mabey if you try to put a 256mb chip in a 128mb max system yea it might not boot up, but i know for a fact you can run an over rammed system. as i just proved and it does cause erratic stalling and freezing.

This was all in support of my post, i dont want people to read what 68 said and think i am giving out bs info because im not.

All pics were taken with pc on running webcam :eek: good thing i didnt electrify myself.

·
363 Posts
Cold thanks for shedding your thought on it :thumbup:

Yea I think I mighta over reacted a little bit as i went on, all I was intending to prove was it does still operate and I wasn't handing out phoney info.
Hope I didnt offend anyone, specially 68 he's a cool guy n all. :thumbup:

Have a good one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fats65 check to make sure one of those chips isn't bad. Pull then both out and place just one in the first slit and test it. Then try the other one in the first slot. If one doesn't fire up the computer its bad.
Or you have a setting in the bios off a bit and its not letting the second chip work properly. It should show up at least in the POST. The part were you see it counting off the memory and checking it. This part come up before anything else. You might have the memory check option turned off.
Its a just aguess but thats how mine acts when I turn the memory check off and put in a new chip.

ChevellSS the computer not shutting down totaly could be much the same thing. The Bios might have that optiion turned off. Check for it. Winblows is sending the singnal but the bios isn't doing the shutdown thingy.

And Yes CET I run Linux also.
OSX is actually BSD based(afaik) which is a close cousin to linux. But FAR from that crud M$ based products. Haven't crashed or frozen in three years.

Just ideas guys. I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
machine shop tom said:
I'll go ya one BETTER! The Mac OS10. Linux based, Macinitosh usable.

:thumbup:

tom
actually it's BSD based.

1Fast65Elky said:
I wouldnt have said that if I'm not in the same situation.

I got 2 128mb (256mb) ram chips installed and it only recognizes 127mb and still runs. I guess my pc is the only one in the world able to run over rammed. :eek: Some webcam shots of my ram and a screen shot of my system properties to show that I have 2 128's installed and only recognizes 127?

I'm just supporting my theroy. I know a pc will run over rammed.... mine does!

Heres a webcam shot of both 128mb ram installed. Tight squeeze with a flashlight and a webcam.

Herez my system info (start, program files, accesories,system tools, system information)

webcam shot of sys info so you dont think screencapture was edited.

I rest my case. just the fact of it saying 127mb ram on sys info should be proof enough.
How can you get two chips to add to an odd number, when they only make chips even numbered? ie: 32mb 64mb 128mb and 256mb...... just doesnt add up...

now mabey if you try to put a 256mb chip in a 128mb max system yea it might not boot up, but i know for a fact you can run an over rammed system. as i just proved and it does cause erratic stalling and freezing.

This was all in support of my post, i dont want people to read what 68 said and think i am giving out bs info because im not.

All pics were taken with pc on running webcam :eek: good thing i didnt electrify myself.
dude...

If you've got 2 128mb sdram dimms in there and it's only seeing one, then the other one is either incompatible, dead, dead socket, or you got 2, 64's in there.

Whats the chipset?
Who makes the board?
Is it DDR, or SDRAM?

I bet if you remove one chip it will say 64mbs.

Now why do you have a meg missing you ask? Well back in the day PCs never imagined using anymore than 640K of ram, why you ask? hell if I know. Anyway, either 512K or 640K will always be put aside when it posts. This could also be the fault of having the bios reserve some ram for devices, settings, etc. But if you have 128mb's, most bios's will post 127mbs. If you ever go into a dos prompt and run mem, you will always notice it saing 640K base memory, the rest is extended/expanded.

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\Windows>mem

Memory Type Total Used Free
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Conventional 640K 39K 601K
Upper 0K 0K 0K
Reserved 0K 0K 0K
Extended (XMS) 65,472K ? 523,080K
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Total memory 66,112K ? 523,681K

Total under 1 MB 640K 39K 601K

Total Expanded (EMS) 64M (67,108,864 bytes)
Free Expanded (EMS) 16M (16,777,216 bytes)

Largest executable program size 601K (614,912 bytes)
Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

C:\Windows>

·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The computer recognized the RAM, and my dad had a 256 in there alongside the 126 from the factory, making about 370MB? He kept his RAM and I stuck a 64MB laying around in it.

Before my dad sent it to me (otherwise it was the dump) he did the system restore that ya only do if really needed (wipes out hard drive, restores everything to default, makes it as new again). He did that 3 times.

I know a guy that could erase everything and put XP on it, should I give that a try? He did that to my computer (the one I use) and it's been flawless since. The computer that isn't going all too well is one I'm just fixing up for kicks.:) And I'll prolly give it to my girlfriend or something.

*****IDEA*****
1. Hook the hard drive from this computer up to it as the primary HD, and the other hard drive as a secondary drive.
2. Erase everything on the "slave" drive, except hardware drivers.
3. Put everything from my hard drive onto that one
4.Swap the hard drive back into my computer and put the other one back into the the primary slot.

p.s. ya notice everything can be related to cars? primaries and secondaries refer to carbs...
:cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
You probobly best staying with win98. Unless the computer is over a 1ghz speed XP isn't going to make any real speed difference and will probobly just slow it down.

If you have an origional win98 disk someplace you can do a total reinstal. This should wipe everything off the hard drive and give you a back to basics computer. You'll have to reinstall all the hardware drivers and redo any internet settings.

I do this all the time just to keep my old gaming machine running as fast as possible.

Just make sure you save anything you want first. This is a oneway trip with no chance of going back.

·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pzatchok said:
You probobly best staying with win98. Unless the computer is over a 1ghz speed XP isn't going to make any real speed difference and will probobly just slow it down.

If you have an origional win98 disk someplace you can do a total reinstal. This should wipe everything off the hard drive and give you a back to basics computer. You'll have to reinstall all the hardware drivers and redo any internet settings.
My dad did that original win98 disk thing 3 times and it's still kinky. XP is a lot more stable, and on this computer (the good one) it has frozen maybe once this year, and yea it's a little slower but I like reliability. Sucky I can't use some 95-98 programs though.:( I miss the ZL1 Camaro and Corvette, the LS6 Chevelle, the Hemi Daytona, and the 'Cuda on Test Drive 4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.