Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually have a 92 Buick Roadmaster, but I'm hoping one of you all can be kind enough to assist me. I have the world famous TH-700r4 tranny and I had my Torque Converter changed. After the swap, I noticed that my car was extremly sluggish and had a shutter that was out of this world. If I pressed the gas too hard, I would smell burning. The car never went above 2000 rpms no matter how hard you pushed the gas. I drove it like that for a month and a half and last weekend discovered that my throttle valve cable was disconnected.. Now while on the highway she shifts like a champion until 70mph in overdrive (I have manual overdrive). When I get there she doesn't go above 2,oooRPMs and stays put no matter how much gas I tap. Now I have a 200 mile trip this weekend to see someone very important to me. Should I or should I not. From what I hear, my 3-4 clutches are close to going bye-bye.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
from what it sounds to me, if the engine wont go over 2000 rpms under load, then more than likely its the catalytic converter for ur exhaust... not in ur trans.. now, it is possible that something in the trans could be binding, but i doubt ud be able to reach 70 mph... go to and exhaust shop and have them do a back pressure test... gl

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Loonatyk said:
Wow, please teach me :)

Ok, but wouldn't that TV cable being off for that long spell total doom for my tranny? I drove it for 300 miles like that :confused: ..

OK. :thumbup: Your first mistake was not taking the thing back to the transmission installers IMMEDIATELY when you perceived the "shudder, and smell" problem that occurred instantly with the transmission work. Obviously had you done that, they would be responsible for any future problem that you incurred.

Your trans is probably fragged and you have only your own "wallet warranty" to provide repairs.

I wouldn't suggest driving it in 3rd gear for any big trip. Normally that would not hurt anything. BUT.....Now the tow bill might be several hundred dollars to get it back home, and it would still be fragged. :nono:

·
Registered
685 Posts
My crazy 700R4

If you drove this car with the tv cable disconnected for a month or so,this trans should be giving you huge problems. The shudder may be the clutchs slipping,not enough line rise to provide good clamping force.

Your exhaust may be clogged as well,in either case I would not drive it on this trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
See the thing with the shudder is if I apply a little bit of brake, it acts right. Or if I get is to 2500 rpms it jumps into the next gear. has been like that for a while now (even b4 the Torque Converte swap)and has improved greatly since the torque converter install.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My crazy 700R4

I see you are from DC. I assume Washington D.C.

My shop is about 20 miles outside of DC.

I will be glad to check your car for free,if you would like.

This way you'll know if it's ok to make your trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.