Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was here briefly about a year ago, and just came back a couple weeks ago.

Primarily I'm here because this seems to be the hotrodding "knowledge base" of the web. Plenty of helpful people with good advice.

I primarily try to troll threads when I can, just to pick up some new things here and there that I might use later.

When I was previously active, it was soliciting advice on rebuilding my 1989 Cadillac Allante. That project is pretty much done.

I tore down and rebuilt the engine, made a stab at rebuilding the trans, but ended up not being able to get it to work and put in another used one. Did some minor bodywork and my first paintjob, which came out rather well, although I made a few mistakes, largely related to running out of time, space and weather.

I've started a couple of threads, and jumped into a couple more, regarding my next project, which will also be Allante based.

Its contingent on moving to a new house with a larger garage and/or barn in a more rural area (so I can paint at home). I'm probably looking at a year or two down the road.

The plan, as it stands right now, is to acquire a C4 Corvette, primarily to acquire the frame and rear end, but if I can find one with an LT1 and six-speed, so much the better.

The powertrain will probably be an LT1 mated to a T56, but if I can find an LS1 or LT4, I may go that route. Also won't rule out the Northstar yet.

Up front, I plan on mating the vette frame to that of an S-10 4x4, correcting the suspension issues with S-10/G-body front ends. The reason for the 4x4 front end is to mount a front axle, and tie that into the Astro/Syclone/Typhoon transfer case to make the chassis AWD. My inspiration for this came from the posts here and from the QuadraDeuce by Summit Racing.

Once the chassis is complete, I intend to channel most of the Allante unibody over it, isolating it with rubber mounts. I will also be improving some of the unibody structurally, while simultaneously removing whatever weight I can, since a lot of the stucture will now be supported by the full frame.

I may or may not reuse the Allante interior. I'll be keeping the seats, but the interior panels and dash are fair game for either replacement or retention. Maybe a little of both. The console will almost definitely have to be redone to accomodate the larger hump for the trans and transfer case.

I doubt it will be possible to mate the Allante electronics to the donor engine's controls, and I'm not sure I want to, so I'll be ditching those for something I build with full gauges and largely manual controls. Depends on what I can come up with.

If that weren't enough, should I work out all the above details before getting a place to work, I've been pondering making a fiberglass replica of the aluminum hardtop that can be split and folded to replace the cloth top with a retractable hardtop.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Willys.

The journal is a good idea. Right now I just have ideas I'm kicking around, but I can at least post some pics of my "finished" project (once I dig it out of the snowdrift).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts