Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody im new to hot rodding and fabrication and...life i guess. anyway, you guys have alot of cool stuff and i love some of the fabrication you guys are capeable of. so ive decided to tell you guys about my latest idea.
i would hesitate to call it a hot rod though because one of the main factors of this car is that i would like it to have good gas milage, and it only uses a 2.9 so its kind of a sporty car or somthing. well, i made pictures:

to build the body i was going ot make a shell out of little beams and weld sheet metal onto it. all flat, straight lines. nice and simple. and i would make the frame out of bigger beams (whatever is normal for making frames i guess) and atach the shell/body panels to the frame. the idea is to make as much of it as i a possibly can. money tends to be a problem for me. jsut a little one though. the hardest part seems like its going to be front suspension/steering. i hardly have any idea waht im doing though. jsut thinking so far. im not really sure how big the engine is but i think i got dimmensions pretty close.
let me know what you think so far.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ah, but that is still alot of welding, and your body will lieterally turn out looking like a cross between a Willy's Jeep, and a '48 Crosley.

As far as frames go, i dunno, you could try tying two halfs of an already made frame together, to the length that you wanted. This would take care of your suspension problems.

Still, i would try looking around at scrap body parts and seeing if you could build something interesting out of them. Truck hoods from 70's-80's work good if their split, and their not too hard to weld a floor into. Also, there is already a few body lines pressed into them.

Just look around a junkyard or something. Doors, fenders, anything could be turned into a decent, and sturdy body, for alot cheaper than building your own from flat sheet metal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts