Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freshly rebuilt 351 Cleavland with a accell distributer. (its the best one they have) My problem is when i start the car, it runs perfect until its warmed up then when i give it some gas or give it a quick tap it back fires. I don't know why but its darn laud coming out of 3inch exhaust. My guess is that the distributer is a little too advanced but what would you guys think?

Bill

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
barking dogs....

what is your initial and total timing numbers???

Keith

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
engine barking at me

Try closing the choke about 1/3 to 1/2 way after the engine is warmed up, if it stops barking at you, then I would say its running too lean.

Did the engine bark at you before you changed distributors?

·
Registered
245 Posts
this may not be your problem, but it's worth checking. i have a 351 cleveland in my coupe, i am running a high presure, high volume pump. every so often it will start running like crap and backfiring out the exhaust. in my case it is always a partially sheered cam gear pin. this has happened about 4 times in 16 years. keep us posted.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...

The motor is Brand new fresh off a rebuild .30 over and keithblack 9 or 10 to : 1 with a mild 250 mega Isky? grind cam . I tried hard to find a timing marker for the front of the motor to tell what the harmonic balancer was reading but to no avail so i had a good friend at the local shop tdc it and he said it was as fine as he could get it. I Really!!! hope its not a sheared cam pin or anything as bad as that. This is the first and only distributer that has been in it since the motor craft one it rolled of the asembly line with. Also i am running a stock type fuel pump (on the side of the block) Still she barks .

Also... DoubleVision have you had problems with this distributer . Mine is the fully electronic one that needs no external brain box. Everything is internal but three wires i believe.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`ve run some accell products, but not ever again, I`ve had distributor caps melt, super coils that didn`t last 2 months, plug wires that showed real high resistance right out of the box.
I`m yet to use anything of there`s that wasn`t junk.

·
Registered
245 Posts
just to clear things up, and you probably knew what i meant. i said cam gear pin, i meant to say dist gear pin. hope you find your problem.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey doublevision

... umm well to mention it .. i do have a problem with my accell super coil ( the old kind thats huge and bright yellow) It came with the whole slew of parts i got when i bought the car, so i thought i'd use it if it worked. Now it seems to work fine but.. it gives off a wicked shock when i touch it . zzzzzzzzzzzz damn now is this the coil's fault or is it the ground?

·
Registered
4 Posts
barking

it runs good cold but then barks when warm, things to look at: heat riser sticking closed or partial open, excelarater pump in carb shot to light, vacume advance comming in to soon or late. what is you initial advance? have you thought about putting on timing tape? try pluging the vacume advance line and see if that changes the barking. the best is trial and eror, good luck. Kevin

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351 C barking

Were new timing chain and gears put in the engine with the overhaul? Thats about the only other culprit I can come up with.

The other thing may faulty ignition wires, that wont carry enough juice to fire off a cylinder or two under load.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope they were brand new accell 8mm wires and brand new double timing chain and gear and cam and well every thing is brand new except the crank , block and head castings every thing else in them and all around the motor are brand new. But i don't know the initial advance? Also i don't know what timing tape is . I don't have a heat riser (electric choke on a new 670 cfm street A.) The accelerator pump? well if you mean flow of fuel into the motor well lets say there's allot. I'll try the vacuum advance thing and get back to you.

P.s. I get the feeling (chuckling) that im not supposed to touch the coil in the first place .... dually noted.(wink)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
fuel flowing

I am wondering if you have a stuck float, that is allowing your carburetor to flood? Even though it may be a new carb, such things do happen. Timing tape is a tape you can get from any speed equipment supply company. What you need to know is the diameter of your harmonic balancer. It has a backing on it that you peal off and it adheres to the edge of your balancer just like any regular tape. Usually its a metalic tape.
Recommendations on installing it would be to make sure the edge of your balancer is squeeky clean before you put it on, otherwise it will peal off in no time. When installing it, you will want to make sure the timing numbers match those on your balancer. Start with the 0 on the tape on top of the 0 on your balancer, and carefully apply it. I would only peal off the backing as I install it. The numbers of advance will run in a clockwise direction.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok well i got that but i don't have the pointer .. the piece of metal that bolts onto the motor that points to the harmonic balancer's numbers. I can't seem to find one.
thanks bill

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get a dog and make it bark at your car! Kidding...

Bring it to a shop or a tech school with an osciloscope.Teachers will love it for demostration purposes.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
timing marker

You could go to a salvage yard and probably pick one up for $2-3. Barring that, go to your local Ford dealer and order a new one. Shouldnt be more than $10 from them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts