Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive gone through 2 starters now. each time the work fine for the first five ignitions. then when i try to turn it on again i hear a harsh screeching grinding sound.

i go under the car only to find my starter is cracked through the front part where the opening is for the flywheel to meat the starter gear.

the nose gray part is all cracked.

this is the second time this happens. the first time the guys at the parts store said it was defective this 2nd one in a row though cant also be defective.

i put all the wire exactly the same and bolted it back on to the car.

i ratcheted the bolts till they wouldnt turn anymore and it was as tight as i could get it.

is that the problem?

the original starter that came with the car had no cracks on it. it just died. now all the new starters are cracking.

i have a concert to go to tomorrow and know this should be an easy fix theoretically.

please help me.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Okay, lets go down the list. First off, you are using the correct bolts? They must be starter bolts that have a shoulder and a knurled section. Make sure the starters mounting area is clean. There should be no washers on the bolts, the shoulder of the bolt is designed to fall into the machined grooves of the starter to keep it from moving, when they move is what causes them to break. When you install the new starter and do all the checks I mentioned, torque the bolts to around 40 Ft Lbs. and you should be good to go.
Some years ago I was going through many a starter and this solved my issues. good luck.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Did you verify new starter has same number of teeth as old starter.

Don't get carried away and strip the threads.

If the advance is too much you should have noticed the starter was straining; but it is a good idea to verify timing like New said.

You should verify all teeth on ring gear look normal. Make sure ring gear/fly wheel it firmly attached.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got another starter today. tried the shims. put two on one side to push the starter gear closer to the flywheel.

have turned the car on and off 8 times today to test it and so far no cracks or screeching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.