Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have TCI Competition Trans 312000, Bought it last year 8/2020 install in 9/2020, It's install in a plymouth arrow truck, with about 180 miles on it.
Trans temp was 168, 2nd gear started slipping but would still pull. 1st and 3rd ok This happen about 10 miles in the ride, not driven hard at all.
It don't shift hard to 2nd like it did before. I drop the oil pan there was little shavings in the pan. I did call tci but could get through to any 1, motor is 358 roller 3500 stall 373 rear.
View attachment 615096
20210317_211116.jpg 20210317_210132.jpg 20210317_210120.jpg 20210318_171753.jpg arrow.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
man sorry about all the post can't delete been trying. When i started to post it kelp tilling me to wait 4min then post. Man so thats why so many. man sorry

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
man sorry about all the post can't delete been trying. When i started to post it kelp tilling me to wait 4min then post. Man so thats why so many. man sorry
Ignore the message 4 second wait... the forums have a software glitch for months that the Tech people have not repaired yet. Sorry for the confusion.

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
That looks like the cage pieces of the roller sprag. It's hosed and needs to come out now. They can't seem to fix much of anything on this website - I don't think you can really call them "IT techs" but you get what you pay for. If you keep running the trans in this condition you're going to tear up more expensive hard parts. The roller clutch standard version is about $30, the 36 element which is what you should have is around $80-$90. There's also a chance you cracked the Sprag Race if a stock one was put in the transmission. A hardened replacement is about a $100.

What people do not understand when ordering a transmission from any outfit and we've bought them from TCI, FTI, Mike's Trans., BTE, ATI and Hughes in the past - unless you know something about them and TELL them what you want or need in the transmission then your only guide is price. The more expensive it is, the better chance you have on better parts in it. You go for the low- buck special - well you get the low-buck special. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on what is in the transmission you are using and what makes it better for a particular usage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks like the cage pieces of the roller sprag. It's hosed and needs to come out now. They can't seem to fix much of anything on this website - I don't think you can really call them "IT techs" but you get what you pay for. If you keep running the trans in this condition you're going to tear up more expensive hard parts. The roller clutch standard version is about $30, the 36 element which is what you should have is around $80-$90. There's also a chance you cracked the Sprag Race if a stock one was put in the transmission. A hardened replacement is about a $100.

What people do not understand when ordering a transmission from any outfit and we've bought them from TCI, FTI, Mike's Trans., BTE, ATI and Hughes in the past - unless you know something about them and TELL them what you want or need in the transmission then your only guide is price. The more expensive it is, the better chance you have on better parts in it. You go for the low- buck special - well you get the low-buck special. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on what is in the transmission you are using and what makes it better for a particular usage.
I understand this, The trans is rated at 750 hp only just over a 150 miles. not driven hard at all.

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
I understand this, The trans is rated at 750 hp only just over a 150 miles. not driven hard at all.
According to the information on their website, it should have the hardened race and higher element sprag. Hope you're local to them. I would contact them and explain the situation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes some peaces are are magnetic man hate to pull it. Not the easy thing to come out. Is there good break book th350 on pulling the trans apart and best parts to use. "O" video.

I will start pulling it Sunday

20210319_122707[1].jpg 20210319_122644[1].jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the information on their website, it should have the hardened race and higher element sprag. Hope you're local to them. I would contact them and explain the situation.
Thanks, no man me in MD State. I started to go local and buy.

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
There's some rebuild books and videos available, you'll just have to search. The TH350 isn't that difficult to build but if you don't have some experience and the tools needed, it could be a nightmare for you. Too bad you didn't go with ATI in Baltimore. There's another thread on here that mentions loosing the sprag in one of these TCI units a 1000 miles in. Makes you wonder where they are sourcing their parts from?

·
More for Less Racer
19,961 Posts
That looks like the cage pieces of the roller sprag. It's hosed and needs to come out now. .... If you keep running the trans in this condition you're going to tear up more expensive hard parts. The roller clutch standard version is about $30, the 36 element which is what you should have is around $80-$90. There's also a chance you cracked the Sprag Race if a stock one was put in the transmission. A hardened replacement is about a $100.

With a TH- 350 the 36 element sprag upgrade requires a different drum also.....it's not just a drop in on the stock drum and it is well north of $100. You must be thinking of the TH-400, which does have a $100 sprag upgrade to 34 element sprag.
They are not the same piece.
The relatively inexpensive 34 element sprag for the TH-400 will not fit a TH-350.

The good TH-350 sprag only comes assembled on the drum, since the inner stock race has to be modified to take a 36 element....and it is a $300-400 piece. $550 if you want a steel drum rather than cast iron.

TH350 Drum 36 Element Sprag 350-327900 TSR Racing Products (tsr-racing.com)
BTE Racing: BTE TH350 Heavy Duty Drum w/ Sprag
Transmission Specialties | Transmission Specialties (tsirace.com)
TH350 Iron Drum/HD Sprag Assembly (tciauto.com)

It was not included in this level of trans from TCI, you have to buy a transbrake equipped model from TCI to get the good high power drum and sprag.

All TCI puts in this level of trans is a new roller clutch package with HD springs and a hardened sprag race....not really all that much stronger than stock really. Still only 8 or 10 contact rollers in that stock style roller clutch/sprag.
Just the hardened race is $100 bill...
TH350 Intermediate Sprag Race‚ Hardened 350-35732HD TSR Racing Products (tsr-racing.com)
And the roller clutch, $70
All Products (tsirace.com)

I had a 450 hp 383 SBC break 3 straight so-called "hardened " stock style sprag races in a fresh manual valvebody TH-350, 6 to 7 1/4 mile passes each before I got smart and bought the good drum/sprag package....never touched the trans again.
And this was just a low 12 second pump gas 3600 lb street car with soft compound 8" wide dirt track tires on it("cheater slicks').

You've already got the trans....but TCI would not have been my choice at all for a trans builder.

You'll have to find another stock drum if you are going to try the new stock style roller sprag with a new hardened race and put it back together(I don't recommend it, you are paying more than 1/2 the cost of just getting the good drum )....blowing up a stock type ruins the drum for re-use.

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
Eric - just going off what I could find quickly and I was viewing their manual drag transmission, but not his part number. I stand corrected.

Reactions: ericnova72

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man , I did talk to tci when i bought this 1, My old th350 leak from the front pump when i had shop look at it. They said there's small crack at the rear mount case is trash need a hole new th350. So that's when tci came in to play some told me about them. Here's picks of my old th350. And pull out some of the parts. what you thank about what you see here. mind you this trans been in the truck 12 years bang the crap out of it.

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
19,961 Posts
From what you can see nothing looks bad, at least hard parts and bushings that you can see. What you can't see are lip seals and clutch facings without disassembling the drums so can't say there is a problem there.

The part likely blown up in your TCI trans is in this pic....take the snap ring off, lift the fluted retainer/oil shield off, and you will see the ramps, rollers, and helper wave springs of the roller clutch...which in the TCI version probably are trashed.
The outer race is the 6" or so diam ring with the spline on the OD and smooth inner ID.

Attachments

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
Well at least you have some hard parts that might be okay to use and perform a repair on your TCI trans. The question that none of this answers yet is what exactly is wrong with the TCI unit and why did it suffer a failure this early? That's what you need to get to the bottom of or putting in more hard parts and having it do the same again is certainly a possibility. You're going to need to take a very close look at bearing/bushing surfaces, clearances and make sure that fluid routes are correct. We had an ATI pump that straight out of the box, the stator was not lined up correctly which blocked a major fluid route - that resulted in destroyed clutch packs. If you haven't already, you want to take a look at that spare sprag drum assembly - if for nothing else but understanding how those bits and pieces of metal in your pan manged to escape that assembly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man I'm sorry the picks of the trans parts, are from the old th350 trans i had in the truck at 1st 12 years old leaked from the pump gasket and the wire you see going in near the rear mount had a hole in the case i was told the trans case was no good. and i have the tci th350 to. I never pull trans apart before trying to learn the parts needed to make it right. If you think I can use the old th350 parts in the tci trans. The truck was drag with the old th350 no slipping or shaving in the trans pan. At the time call tci could not reach any 1 so email them and email summit racing. picks when i was installing the tci trans.

Attachments

·
True Hotrodder
1,574 Posts
Swapping hard parts from one TH350 to another TH350 is a common repair route, the thing that must be paid attention to is that you are keeping clearances within specification. TH350's are not that difficult to work on but again if you do not have or have access to some of the specialty tools that you will need to disassemble it and reassemble it correctly - you're setting yourself up for a possible failure.
If I'm reading this correctly, you purchased the trans through Summit Racing? I would get them on the phone tomorrow morning and see what they can work out for you. A major failure in that short of a time period is something that they should provide you some help on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to every 1 for all the info, I haven't herd back from TCI yet call and sent a massage through there site, And contacted Summit Racing. I will give updates soon. I had guy local for years use to do all my transmission I found out he pass away from C-19.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I talk to TCI it did not go good at all. They only give a 30 day warranty no help what so ever. they guy said the shavings from my stall. But local shop guy new person to me said it from the sprags and few other people. I will start pulling it in few days.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts