Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 74 LEMANS WITH A 400 BB IT.WHAT CAN I do to the trans to get the most power. i have look at some stall converter,shift kit and some rear end gears. i need help can someone give me tips. thank you

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
You pretty much answered your own question, vaguely though.

You really only have to look at what your main intentions are for the car.

Will it be a daily driver, weekend cruiser, or occasional weekend dragstrip visitor?

Once you have the main intention in mind, your answers from us can actually vary according to budget and other variables.

I am giving an example of weekend cruiser with this one, but don't just stick with MY answer, it's only an opinion.

For simplicity, I would go with around a 2000 rpm stall, shift improver kit for sharper shifts and the occasional upshift chirp, and add an aftermarket cooler with a bypass and temperature gauge.

I would take into consideration what tires I liked on the car and gear accordingly with a multi-purpose ratio like 3.42 or 3.73, whatever gets me into range for the best mileage.

But that is just my opinion, and a starting point for you.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
jjweb74 said:
I HAVE A 74 LEMANS WITH A 400 BB IT.WHAT CAN I do to the trans to get the most power. i have look at some stall converter,shift kit and some rear end gears. i need help can someone give me tips. thank you
There's one at the local junkyard. 2door, not sure what engine but it's a v8. Body is rusted, hood, roof, trunk, glass, trim good, interior perfect for its age, complete too. PM me if ya want it, or they're gonna prolly send it to the crusher. I have no money to rescue it.:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.