Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has nothing to do with cars.I had a new house built and moved in Feb 14,04.My double window in the upstairs Living Room has a leak from where the opposing roofs meet.The roofer has been up on my roof about 10 times already.I called the builder,he came and looked at it and determined that the window has to come complely out,the framing has to be replace and they still have not found the leak.I have not even put any curtains up in that window since we moved in,since with every rain it seeps water in.They came out the first time,said it was fixed and sent in the drywall man.He puttied over the water stains,never sanded or repainted.I told the builder that was unacceptable and he assured me he will get it fixed.I do believe the builder,I changed many plans during construction and he always took it in stride and did it the way I requested.Once he had one of the bathrooms framed,when my daughter decided her closet needed to be bigger.Well he had to remove some of the bathroom to accommodate.No problems and no extra charge.We'll enough of that.Off to work,with Stevie Ray Vaughn in the CD player.It will be Ooooooo Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If the roofs in good shape then the culprit is likely uncaulked soffit and fascia. It usually doesn't get done in new homes because the sub-contracter bid the job too cheap to make a profit and pay attention to detail.

Larry

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
If the roof is OK, there must be something in the design that is wrong.

By the sounds of it, the builder is trying to be more than fair. Most would say that since you kept changing the design, it must have something to do with that.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
If it is leaking where the 2 roofs meet, the valley as it is called, there should be a metal flashing where the 2 come together, it may be leaking through the flashing. Check for visible nails, flashing that isn't lapped properly and possibly the window was installed wrong. What type of siding do you have? Can it leak into the top of the window frame? good luck, dan

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most would say that since you kept changing the design, it must have something to do with that.
Exterior stayed the same,I also did not change any load bearing walls

If it is leaking where the 2 roofs meet, the valley as it is called, there should be a metal flashing where the 2 come together, it may be leaking through the flashing. Check for visible nails, flashing that isn't lapped properly and possibly the window was installed wrong. What type of siding do you have? Can it leak into the top of the window frame? good luck, dan

Exactly.We have checked it several times there.The window itself is under a covered porch,and we can not see the leak from inside because my ceilings are vaulted.I do think this will be figured out soon.It is just a pain to have to wake up early,put up my dog and sit around while someone is in there working.I work at nights and when they come to fix it I will have to be up.I am definently not the trusting type with strangers in my home.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Ron,
You said you had vaulted ceilings? I assume they used sissor trusses for the ceiling. Also that would lead to a steep roofline. I doubt the valley is the culprit. Your leak could come from ANYWHERE, and travel along the path of least resistance. Remember how its built.

From bottom to top
Window
header
jack studs
lower header
upper header
sissor truss
decking
felt
shingle

Now, you mentioned a porch roof above.
Is there a vertical wall (above) anywhere near the window (within 10 feet) ? If so, check for adequate flashing.

Up in NY, we use a product that is called Ice Dam. Its 3' wide, sticky on both sides and self healing. Used in valleys and any transitions, as well at the bottom 3' of the roofline to prevent ice from backing up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is that gutter free of leaves and draining well. Water could backing up in the gutter and seeping into the wall and running down the top of the wall and exiting over the window. Also dose it only do it when it rains? Is your HVAC unit in the attic? The condensation tube could be broken or leaking and water could be running down a rafter and exiting out over the window.

:confused:

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maverick,all good thoughts but the devolepment was built on an old farm,no one has trees here yet,unless they purchased saplings and have planted them.It only does it when it rains,gutters flow free,but they are not close to the window.I know that it is in that valley somewhere.I think they will end up having to pull the shingles and repair it,then reshingle.The HVAC runs through the center of the house,all piping is ran straight up and out.None of the pipes are hung overhead.
It is aggrevating more than anything,new houses have problems.You just do not like the idea of a window being pulled out during the winter,especially when natural gas prices have doubled from last year!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just went back and re-read and since the ceilings are vaulted it wouldn't be the HVAC unit in the attic. I would have to say its in gutter in that area were the valley is. Its either not draining well and backing up and/or its leaking were the gutter is attached to the eve of the house by whatever its attached with. Had a very similar thing happen but my house is old and the gutter hadn't been cleaned for years.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
After looking at that valley, is there a possibility that the overlap where the shingles meet in the valley is allowing water to seep under the shingles. I've seen the valleys done both ways, finished with shingles and exposed metal flashing.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dinger,
I believe that is where the problem lies.They thought that they had repaired it twice already,but naturally it still leaks.I do not really like the idea of them removing sections of the shingles to find it,but they may have too.

Killer,
Thanx,there is only one other home with that brick back here, when we purchased our lot.We looked at a light (cream) colored brick with blue fleck in it at first and it is real nice also.Then we noticed that the three houses across the street had that brick and BOTH houses next to us had it.So we chose brown.We went to the guys house around the corner and found out the manufacterer and chose it.It is called The Bardstown,manufactured by General Shale. It looks like a single story from the front since I am on a hill,it has a full walk out basement in it.From the back it is a tall drop from the roof.I can see my son attempting a leap off of it in a few years if he is anything like I used to be.LOL.I hope he doesn't try it though.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Bob-
Y'all could always get one of them thar huge blue tarps an sling er over tha top. That'll get er done.....

Seriously, after seeing the pics, I think its coming down the trusses.

Is it EVERY rain, or just wind blown?
Windblown would be your roof vents mesh not being there.
Every rain, would be a bad shingle job. Look over the roof with binoculars. Follow each row. Look for nails not flush, tabs aligned, etc. Did they felt the roof? Try to get into the attic and see if there are water stains on the roof decking or on the drywall ceilings. You CAN get into the sissor trusses. Look for wet insulation. Any water marks, discolorations in the ceiling?

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I'd say valley problems also. I've never been keen on laced shingles and would prefer metal valleys all for the fact is that if the shingles are not extended far enough when they are crossed back and forth you will have problems. Also is there only felt paper under the shingles on the valley or did they cover it with "ice guard" or heavier rolled roofing. Make sure they have it done right or call another contractor / roofer and have it repaired at the original contractors expense. Also get a guarantee against any mold / water damage around the area where the water is coming in around the window. Can you get into the attic to access the area above or near the window to see where the water may be coming in. Always beter to have one up on the repairman before he starts.

Kevin

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only way I would be able to see where the water comes form the inside is remove piecers of the ceiling,I am not getting any water there.This happens at every rain,granted it is not a quick drizzle.If it rains steady with or without wind it comes in.The mold issue is really bugging my wife.The roof has what I have always called tar paper.It is a roll of black felt like material that is approx3.5' wide, layed down over top of the roof before the shingles go on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts