Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an 84 Camaro Z28 with only 67 thousand miles on it for a good deal from a friend.. so i bought it. I noticed that the 305 compared to the 350 is is considerably less effective. On top of this all.. its an automatic which lowers the horsepower even more! Im kinda new to this whole thing, but i want to get some power into the engine.. it already has a four-barrel carb. and a V8 with dual exhaust ( which i think is standard right?). I was looking into a better exhaust system and an air intake system, but havnt had to much luck.. Is this car worth putting money into it has only 67K on it? I would like some tips on some things i could to to boost some horsepower.. Any help would be great!!

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
No, it don`t have factory dual exhaust, it has 2 pipes that run into a single pipe into the cat converter, a single pipe all the way back to the muffler, which comes out into 2 tail pipes, chevy`s been doing this since the 70`s. there`s a little you can do with a 305 to help it make more power, but it is limited so to speak, unless you want to spend more money to get there, you won`t spend half as much on a 350 to get the same results. The F body cars are heavy, and starting out the best bang for the buck is rear gears. afterwards there are more mods you can do, or you can step up to a 350. Rather or not the car is worth putting money into is entirely your choice.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I agree that putting alot of money into a 305 is a waste of money. There are things that you could do to it, but just make sure that whatever you buy now can be used on a 355 or 383 in the future. Gears are a good idea, I am pretty sure you have a 700R4, so a set of 4.11's would give you alot off the line, and the overdrive will help with gas mileage. You could also get a better exhaust system for the car, but just make sure that it is big enough for a whatever motor you want to use in the future. Another idea is a performer RPM intake manifold, and a 650 or 750 carb. This intake and carb combo is a little large for a 305, but again it would be perfect for a 383 in the future.

Good luck
Adam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last year i got a 350 short block for free from a friends shop. I think i may have spent 2500 bucks to build it to 320 hp, and its my daily driver, so ask around. It is my 1st hotrod and i got a huge amount of help with it (still do) by some great people , so dont be intimidated by the task. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts