Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1946 Ford/Willys Jeep Rod, Toyota 1UZ-FE turbo engine, Soarer IFS & IRS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all,

just thought I'd start a build thread for my Willys Jeep (sort of) hot rod build.

I started with a 1946 Ford Deluxe Ute (3/4 tonne truck) chassis, in order to simplify road registration here in NSW, Australia.

Then I bought a 1991 Toyota Soarer for that sweet 4L 1UZ-FE engine and pretty much all the other mechanical pieces.

The neighbours were not impressed but I had it disassembled and picked up in 3 days of evenings.

I boxed the chassis with 4mm plate and moved the centre crossmember around a little, then I made mounts for the Soarer front and rear subframes.

Then I started creating the body framework and something very silly started to emerge

(I'm not sold on the idea of rear seats, but it would be entertaining...)

Then I started on some panels to make it look vaguely like a 1942-ish Willys Jeep.

Obviously a lot more work left to do on the body, but I've made a start.

Then after making shock mounts, substituting in a longer steering shaft from a Landcruiser, and bolting it all together I'm finally at the rolling chassis stage!

Progress will be fairly limited until I relocate somewhere with a larger garage (lost access to the shed last weekend) but I thought I'd get the build thread started anyway.

I'm currently entertaining myself in my tiny single garage by putting some fresh gaskets through the spare 1UZ engine I have, just in-case the one currently in the hot rod turns out to be no good.

I'm planning on fitting a couple of Mitsubishi Evo TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T twin scroll turbochargers to the 1UZ, aiming for around 300rwkw (~500whp) and hoping to keep overall weight down below 800kg (~1760 lbs). Not sure whether to go full obnoxious turbo's way up high either side, maybe sucking from a bug catcher on top of the engine for the full effect, or to try and tuck it all in under a standard looking hood and hide the intercooler... getting a bit ahead of myself, that decision doesn't have to happen for a long while yet.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

·
Registered
1946 Ford/Willys Jeep Rod, Toyota 1UZ-FE turbo engine, Soarer IFS & IRS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great project, and you are a clever cookie, for sure. Keep on with the updates please.
Thanks mate, will do!

After half a year searching for a house to buy, in the middle of a lockdown, I've finally managed to buy one with a double garage.

So in a couple of months I'll be hitching the hot rod back up to the old Volvo and bringing it home

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.