Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tudor has a turbo 400 and when I floor it ,the shift lever moves to neutral and the trans shifts into neutral. Other than that the trans works just fine. Shifts are smooth with no slipping. Motor mounts don’t look bad but hard to tell. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Engine mounts is where I would start. Do you have column shift? Can you see the engine from the driver seat with the hood open? Put it in drive and power brake it a little and see if the engine moves.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
252 Posts
Do you have a gated shifter? It needs to be adjusted so that the "gates" in the shifter match the detents in the transmission.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine mounts is where I would start. Do you have column shift? Can you see the engine from the driver seat with the hood open? Put it in drive and power brake it a little and see if the engine moves.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
It is a column shift and I’ll try the power brake and see if engine moves. Thanks

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
How tight are your shift linkage and body mounts?
I have flexed a body enough to pull the column shifter into Netural on several rides.

Cable linkage was the "easy" fix.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Most simply require you to remove your old linkage, remove a few transmission pan bolts to mount a bracket, then run a cable in between. The cable may need to do a 180 under some cars.
You simply install the cable then adjust the nut/lock nut so the shifter is in the correct position and you won't need to adjust it again for years.

Below is a link for visual refrence only. Your model may be diffrent. Read model specific reviews before buying so the install is a afternoon thing.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Look at shifter cable in mounting. Cable straped to body? frame? Something is moving, pulling - pushing the shifter cable.

Seen this on higher HP drag cars. Cable was pulled on hard launch. Put the glide between 1 & 2nd gear. Smoke the trans.

Reactions: cerial

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at shifter cable in mounting. Cable straped to body? frame? Something is moving, pulling - pushing the shifter cable.

Seen this on higher HP drag cars. Cable was pulled on hard launch. Put the glide between 1 & 2nd gear. Smoke the trans.
There is no cable. It’s a rod from the column right to the trans

·
Administrator
8,477 Posts
Would that also cause the column lever to go to neutral ? It seems like if I hold the lever in Drive , it doesn’t go into neutral.
That is what I was thinking. I had a car years ago that had a similar valve body problem. The faster you go the harder it was to push the accelerator.Turns out the hydarulic pressure was bleeding off into the valve connected to the kickdown lever .

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
There is no cable. It’s a rod from the column right to the trans
My apologies.. I saw all the cable discussion. Something is moving if the column shifter is moving under hard throttle. Perhaps a Go Pro type camera under the hood? A cell phone recording under the hood?

Many years ago , there were throttle - shifter problems on Mopar FWD mini vans in the rust belt areas of the country. Corrosion around the shift linkage on the trans. You would floor the throttle and the shifter would move caused by corrosion on the throttle valve linkage to the transmission.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
If the pressure bleed-off in the trans actually moves the shift valve inside the trans, the shift lever on the outside of the trans would move and the column shifter would move also. That said, I suspect either bad engine or trans mounts. Check both of those. Could be body/frame flex as well, or rather combined with mount movement. A cable would solve any movement issues.

Reactions: cerial

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If the pressure bleed-off in the trans actually moves the shift valve inside the trans, the shift lever on the outside of the trans would move and the column shifter would move also. That said, I suspect either bad engine or trans mounts. Check both of those. Could be body/frame flex as well, or rather combined with mount movement. A cable would solve any movement issues.
I will check mounts and have ordered a floor mount shifter with cable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts