Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have some mothballs that are 99.9% naphthalene. im going to put them into a tank of gas and filter the gas out so i can put clean gas into my tank. i am woundering how many mothballs are needed for 1 gal of 87 octane to make it close as possable to 100 octane?

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
If I remember right, you can weigh them and multiply this sum by the number of naptha content/purity to calculate a volumetric figure.

This figure will vary according to atmospheric conditions particularly barometric pressure as opposed to humidity. This variance is not crucial unless you need an exact octane value.

After you have obtained a volumetric figure calculated from the weight/content ratio formula, you can............Wait a minute, did you say you have MOTHballs?...........How did you get the legs apart to get'em? :p :D

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i'll take your advice and not do it,im my car.hahaha
i'll try it in some dirt bikes and lawnmowers. and maybe a stupid friends car. but i wont do it in my car until i know for sure its not going to brake anything. as for the mothballs. they where hard to see had to use some tweezers and magnifing glasses to get them from inbetween their legs. and its hard cause some are females without balls and some are males.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
The idea is that it raises your octane rating. THe new type of mothballs don't even have this compond you're talking about.

What compression are you running, why do you need to raise the octane rating? If its not pinging on 87, you'll make ZERO more horsepower, even with 117.

K

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i said it before in a different post that i dont know what a ping sounds like. but here is my info. 305 sbc with some work done to it not much but some to make it beat any stock 305 without a problem and some 350s. i have ran 87 then tryed the next one up from that and i notice the engine runs a little better then i tryed the best 93 octane and noticed no difference from the mid grade to 93. but 87 it runs a little less powerful then mid-grade.
so as im saying, mid-grade is the best gas i notice for my engine.
i wanted to try a little higher octane from the mothballs just to see what 100 would do. i cant afford a tank of 100 because its like $4 a gal here. umm the compression i dont know? the motors a 1980-85's 305 sbc with 600cfm carb performer intake well basically the edelbrock performer package. the carb intake cam and lifters. then a little work done to the heads. i think ported and different spings and rockers and such.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If your car runs fine on the mid grade pump fuel, you will be wasting your time and money with anything more. I don't think you understand how octane works. Maybe instead of collecting mothballs you should read up a little on what different octane/fuel ratings will do for your engine/car.

As mentioned above if you put 110 or higher in your car it IS NOT going to make any more power (it will more than likely make a little less power). You only need an octane rating high enough to not have detonation.

What will running your "mothball" fuel in a lawn mower, motorcycle, friends car do for you? Do you think the lawn mower will cut faster? You will still have no idea what octane fuel you made. Let the chemists at the fuel companies make the formulas, just go out and buy what you need. Spend you time and energy on a cam change, tune-up or something that will make a difference.

Royce

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Hotrodders of old formulated their own fuels sometimes I believe. I have some "gas" r/c car fuel; it contains nitromethane, I wanna use that mixed with gas in my lawn mower, but I don't know if it'd work or burn the exhaust valve to a crisp. Im trying to soup it up like a go-kart in hi-gear and a mover in 1 and 2 gears.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
you still haven't answered anybody's question. YOu have mods to beat any other 305... have you done any work to the heads? What year motor is it?

K

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i thought i mentioned that info mybad.
ok the car is a 1984 camaro. the motor is something that i only know because of the numbers on the block. when i ran the numbers it came back as 1980's-85's 305 2 bolt main. thats all i know. then the heads have minor work done to them nothing to brag about. and the engine has the edelbrock performer package on it,carb/intake/cam/lifters.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Moth Balls

If you are experiencing ignition ping in your engine, the easiest way to do it is to try going to the next higher octane level gas and see if it clears up. Dont go overboard and try mixing 105+ or any of that stuff in your engine. The fact is that too high an octane hurts performance. Your engine only needs just the amount to survive, no more.

I remember back when I was a teenager (the 60's), some guys would put mothballs in their gas, like maybe 5-6 to 20 gallons, supposedly it was a secret elixor to boost horsepower. like tossing in some nitro or some exotic fuel. In practicality, I never saw anyone run any better for the effort, and did hear of some guys getting gummy carburetors out of the deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts