Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys it seems like every time I make a decision on buying a new compressor another variable gets thrown in. But I think I have it narrowed down to 3 choices. Please take a look at the links below and let me know what you think. The CFM is basically the same in all three(Eaton is a little higher). But price is the biggest consideration and Harbor Freight is the least expensive. But will it last as long or be as strong at the others. I will be using it for painting about 2-3 cars a year light body work and mechanics tools. I am not a heavy user but my new craftsman 33 gal 5.5 doesn't cut it. It's a great compressor just not big enough. Anyone interested?

Another consideration is freight I don't have to pay for freight at Lowes or Harbor Freight I do at Eaton. I would like to have a two stage but I can't go that high. In my opinion I think the Lowes unit is the best all aroung compressor for features and price. I value all of the opinions on this board so please give me what ever you can.

Also, if you think you know of a better compressor some where else please let me know that also. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/172983.htm

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3848

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=20849-1126-DP4615

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Your Harbor Freight link doesn't work. However I got my 5hp/60gallon compressor (I think it is Campbell Hausfeld) from HF and have used and abused it for nearly 13 years.

·
point on positive
1,680 Posts
Did ya see the beltgaurd featered on the first?

"all steel 13-gauge, HEAVY, HEAVY duty belt guard-built very durable (NOT plastic or wire birdcage-type guard) "

wow

·
Registered
717 Posts
if you can squeeze the extra couple bucks for the eaton then get the eaton. they make a real nice more industrial duty air compressor.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Everything about the Eaton says, "I'm heavy duty, I'm built for industrial duty, I'll last forever and I'm fairly quiet." Go with the Eaton if you can.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw those and they were a little out of my price range. But thanks for the input.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like harbor freight but that kind of performance(13 [email protected]) just does not sound possible with only 3.5 hp. You can get some real bargains from harbor freight but you can get "screwed" also if you are not careful.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I went back and looked at the Eaton again. If the amp ratings are correct, it should deliver a bit MORE than it's advertised 4.5 HP. As almost kind of a hobby, I've been watching compressors for a while and, if I had to replace mine, Eaton is the first place I'd look for a new unit. Because of their distribution system (no people in the middle taking extra markups), they seem to give you a lot more compressor for the same money than any of the other brands I've seen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few months ago I picked up an Ingersoll Rand unit at Tractor Supply Co. $749.96 gets you a true 5hp 80 gal single stage unit that is rated at 18.1cfm at 90psi. The unit is a model SS5N5. I have used mine fairly heavily here lately and love it. It will run a small siphon feed sand blaster and cycle at about 40 or 50% duty cycle. Painting or a DA is no challenge for it at all. I don’t know much about the Eaton units, I hear they are great units, but I can’t say which is better. Anyway, I wanted to throw this option out there for you.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1010&sonID=469&page=1&productID=9181

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lowes<campbellHausefeild>

Purchased the same Model in Lowes After 9 Months Moter Burned out Emerson...Go Figure!well after a month and 30 calls Lowes finally Replaced it.... Not saying that it Didnt Preform as Adv but i was in the middle of Base Coat when she burned!:nono: and they didnt offer to Replace the Chroma Base! Just trying to say Emerson Motors are not the way to Go!:smash:

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Just be highly skeptical of HP and cfm claims as these are usually exaggerated, especially HP ratings. HP is often given as "peak" HP and is useless in determining a compressors actual performance. Spend a little more now on a better compressor such as the Ingersoll and in the long run you will save money and get a lot better service from your investment. If the manufacturer gives "peak" ratings then they are trying to inflate the performance numbers just to make it look like you are getting more than you really are. BE WARY!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just tested my ingersol and I got 130 psi at 4min, 30 sec. At 5min, 52 sec it reached shutdown of 175 psi. Eaton sure does sound good. They say the pump is 65 lbs. I hate to guess, but I had to take my ingersol apart to get it down from my pickup and the pump was NOT 20 to 30 lbs. lighter. They seem to spend a lot of advertising on the 4 1/2 hp statement. I got mine for $1000 ordered from Sears. Both are probably good, but I wanted 2 stage for the PSI, I was drying an engine today at a regulator setting of 150 and it can keep up a steady pressure. Little more than you want to spend, but you would be very glad that you got a 2 stage unit. my 2c

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just a note on Horsepower. I was in a Sears store last week and saw a compresssor on the floor. Listed as 6.5 HP peak and, in smaller but visible letters, 2 HP continuous. I guess that big lawsuit against CH has made some differences.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,945 Posts
Watch Sears horsepower ratings closely. They like to
exagerate. My Sears 5 hp compressor runs on 110 volts.
Thats because it has a 1 horse motor on it.
Sears says it produces air like a 5 hp. but it's only 1hp.
That's because it's direct drive, no belt, and runs the piston
at 3450 rpm. It's really loud.
Always check amp ratings on motors, that's the real story.
My next compressor will be different, back to a belt drive.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Those HP ratings are what I was talking about, it should be illegal. Some of them are so far exaggerated they are just plain fraudulent. Five or six horsepower from a 110 volt compressor? Think about it, you are looking at over 30 amps. Hadn't heard about the CH lawsuit, they are about the worst offenders but Sears is nearly as bad. What happened to CH? Got slapped hard I hope.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I heard CH had to pay out some kind of judgement to every CH owner of the falsely advertised units who filed a claim. Even if it wasn't a whole lot of money, the administrative costs must have cost millions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts