Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I viewed the "narrowing a rearend" article and found it to be very interesting. It did not appear to discuss the axle shortening so can anyone direct me to that information ? I am in the process of 4-linking my 1951 Austin Gasser and the rear axle narrowing is my next step. Any thoughts or advise is very welcome .

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Narrowing/re-splining of the shaft gets a bit complicated and requires specific equipment.

Back in the day. I used to re spline my own narrowed 9" Ford stuff. The axle shaft has to have enuff material to rough turn to OD. Then the proper cutter is required, with an indexing fixture and a fairly powerful mill. I used a common Bridgeport with "J" head. Takes a bit of time to cut TUFF axle material.

Thats why when aftermkt began offering the service (Currie, Moser, Johns etc.. I sent the axles out and just did the housings.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
fredbaker said:
Once you have the rear axle housing narrowed, how do you determine the length that the axles need to be shortened ? :welcome:
I measure from the inside of the side gear to where the axle brg seat's in the housing end. So After the housing is done,I will drop the center section in and measure. It's probably best to talk to whoever is gonna shorten them for you, and measure how they want. That way was there is no screw ups.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
If you call here http://www.moserengineering.com/ They will ask you a few Question's, just give them the answer's. And send them about $475.00 and you will get two brand new axles and bearing's and studs.No problem's..

They will want to know if it's a 9'' and will want the flange to flange measurement.And want to know if the pinon is centered..And will want to know what brake's you will be using,and a few other things.. :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
NEW INTERIORS said:
If you call here http://www.moserengineering.com/ They will ask you a few Question's, just give them the answer's. And send them about $475.00 and you will get two brand new axles and bearing's and studs.No problem's..

They will want to know if it's a 9'' and will want the flange to flange measurement.And want to know if the pinon is centered..And will want to know what brake's you will be using,and a few other things.. :)
I agree why bother with re-splining? I might think about it if theaxles were aftermarket (as in this case). No way I would bother with stock axles.

You need to figure out your track widthbefore cutting the housing. you can't really do that if you don't know your axle offsets.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
camaroman7d said:
I agree why bother with re-splining? I might think about it if theaxles were aftermarket (as in this case). No way I would bother with stock axles.

You need to figure out your track widthbefore cutting the housing. you can't really do that if you don't know your axle offsets.
I like buying new axles from Moser,,Very nice axle's..First class..I had only one problem,With one of their axle..When I installed the axle in my housing,It got two hard to turn,Pulled it out and cut about 1/16 off the end,Put it back together,No more problem.. :D

Man I love that car you have camaroman...My first car was a 73..And was about the same color..I hope to find one,So I can build it just like my old one..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.