Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is , a whole day since the NASCAR season has ended, and no one has even mentioned it............I guess the reports are true.............It is losing it's fan base...................

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in the heart of NASCAR country. And I really know nothing about it. I'm more into landspeed racing at Maxton or Bonneville. I also go for more amateur motorsports like auto cross and local heads up drag racing. However I'm a fan of NASCAR technology, if I could get a NASCAR smallblock I'm sure I could get my S-10 to 200 mph at B-ville with a little aero work.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I watch NASCAR races when I can't sleep.

Mikey

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
nascar? what is that?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
When NASCAR went WWF, I stopped watching and following it. Now TOYOTA is racing. It used to be a Good 'Ol Boy sport and they have turned it into something for the beautiful people. It has become high dollar funny car racing.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
This should be a poll. I don't care either. Pretty boys in pretty cars making pretty money. Haven't watched a full race since D.E. died. When they get a Jr. Johnson, Cale Yarborough or Bobby Allison kind of guys on there again, I MAY watch. I watch the trucks ocasionally, I know Matt Crafton, I like to see how the hometown boy is doing. Dan

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
dinger said:
Haven't watched a full race since D.E. died.
that was the last full race i watched

i dont think ive watched 10 laps total since then ...

abusing the gordon fans just wasnt as fun any more after that :)

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
I haven't watched it in years. Since I lost my hearing, its not any fun anymore.

Try reading the captioning and actually watch the race at the same time. Go for it! :mwink:

By the time I figure out what car or driver they are talking about, they switch the cameras to another one. :rolleyes:

The same thing applies to a lot of sports though. :( Oh well.....

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
IanRiordan said:
Toyota in Nascar is like coffee machines in bars - so morally wrong it defies description.
Not only this but how many two door TAURUS's have you seen driving around? How many 350 equipped FWD have you seen on the street? It is no longer stock car racing.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
How many 500 inch rear wheel drive Grand Ams, Cobalts, Neons do you see?
The NHRA Pro Stock is full of them. :D
Nothing Stock there.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
hell , i thought i was the only one. when they take a 4k lb tuna boat off the showroom and race it i'll watch again. cigar lighters should be mandatory :D

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
poncho62 said:
Here it is , a whole day since the NASCAR season has ended, and no one has even mentioned it............I guess the reports are true.............It is losing it's fan base...................
Poncho, this was a recent letter to the editor in a local paper. Several counties in my area have been trying to push a new NASCAR track in an area that's only about 25 miles from my house. A majority of the residents in the area don't want it but city and county governments have been pushing it.
http://blogs.kitsapsun.com/kitsap/letters/archive/2006/11/nascar_track_a_slowdown_in_its.html#more

1ownerT said:
How many 500 inch rear wheel drive Grand Ams, Cobalts, Neons do you see?
The NHRA Pro Stock is full of them. :D
Nothing Stock there.
How many 500 inch anythings do you see running around anymore? Maybe an occasional tugboat of a Cadillac or maybe a new Silverado HD (496) or V10 Dodge ram (488).

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I'll start watching it again, when they race STOCK CARS, instead of sheetmetaled tube cars. Without mfr names plastered, I couldn't tell one body from the other.

To get my interest, they need to :

Race cars with OEM sheetmetal

Race with current motor technology (Aka, what you buy from the dealer)

Stop being so darned politically correct. If someone torquees you off, they DESERVE to get pnched, or a helmet thrown at them.

Its OK for a driver to use the same language you see on Prime Time. They get fined for anything worse than what you hear on Sesame Street.

What happened to guys with "Helmet Head" and messy hair? These dudes look like they come from a beauty salon when they pull their helmet off.

The last bastion of NASCAR was Jimmy Spencer. And he is too polished now that he is on TV. Hes even a disappointment.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Nas scare ........ has become an over regulated soap opera, with all the politics and hype added in. I liked it when they would go as fast as they could make the machines go, the pit stops were 20 seconds and before a paper cup would bring the yellow flag. Back in the days when the races were won with a checked flag and the cars running balls to the wall, not the last lap yellow flag parade we see today....... new and improved ..........>RIGHT!

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
" well i knew i was in trouble because there aint no grass on the track " :D

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I won a trip for two to Charlotte a few years ago, and I couldn't believe it when I got there-talk about a Circus atmosphere-but wow, when you are sitting at the base of turn two and those cars go by.......

However, I am not interested in going back-I'd rather go to Las Vegas or Denver and watch the Corporate Circus (NHRA)?-I think my priorities are messed up- :spank:

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
poncho62 said:
1. "the chase"- what kind of BS is this?
2. they're too far from stock. I don't think they'd go around quick with fwd cars, the Mopar guys would dominate Nascar, Chevrolet and thier v8 Impalas would come in second, and Ford with their v6s would take up the tail.
3. DOT tires- wouldn't this be neat in Nascar?
4. OEM body panels- sure keep the nascar skirts and spoilers, but use oem sheetmetal on the tube frames.

there's others but road racing (lemans) and drag racing appeals to me a lot more. If indy was more lax on their rules (turning it into an innovation breeding ground like it used to be with that 6 wheel indy car) I'd like that too. Unfortunately I don't have cable- so I get the occasional indy race, and more nasscar than I can stand.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`ve never cared for Nascar, I`ve always considered it pretty much a joke because it`s not a fair deal. The guy in the back with 2 sponsors hasn`t a hope of winning compared to the guys in the first 15 spaces that have multiple sponsors. The same guys win just during different races, over and over, you never hear of the under dog winning or the guy you never heard of. I do enjoy reading of smokey yunicks days in nascar.
What kills me about it is, it`s done the same thing every other sport has done, gone far too commercial, they don`t care who wins as long as the fans keep pouring in and the money keeps flowing, it`s all about the dollar, period.
I see dale jr on TV pushing wrangler jeans, Wrangler has always been cowboy or good old boy jeans or jeans for people on tight budgets or just for those that like to wear them, and here he is telling us he wears them and that`s pure bull, He don`t own the first pair, his blood is far to rich to be caught dead in a basic man`s clothes. But he`ll get on there and smile, tell you all about them just to keep you buying cause he gets another check and continued sponsorship. Even college football is too commercial now, and it goes to show what direction the whole country is going in and it`s getting worse everyday, it`s all about the dollar. When money takes over common sense, and over the common good, were in trouble.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts