Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used GM HEI ignitions and they have never let me down, but now I am switching to a tunnel ram and my HEI no longer fits. I read an old post that mentioned a small cap HEI, but I can't find one in any of my parts magazines; anybody know what they are and where to get one?

like I said I have always used GM's HEI so I'm kinda lost, but I'm looking at distributors and I see alot of them state points or dual points. am I missing something, because I always thought points were incredibly outdated but yet they're being advertised by msd and mallory as being a racing ignition? surely no sane person in this day and age would run points??? but I'm looking at a vacuum advance mallory unilite and if I'm understanding this right it doesn't use points, but I would need to buy a coil; do I have that right? and you can hook an electric tach to them also? any info is greatly appreciated! thanks

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
I still run points on my 62....I actually like tuning up a points car........and it works well.

The smaller HEI from GM are computer controled for the advance, so its unlikely you want that. The MSD etc is probably the route you should take.

You could convert a points type distributer to electronic....There are kits for that.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Try Dave's Small body HEI's in NV...do a goggle for his Web page, he makes small body HEI's for this specific application.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay guys, thanks for the advice, but I don't have an old points system to convert to HEI and finding an old system to upgrade seems, well, just wrong. after reading some more posts, it sounds like (I think anways) the mallory unilite uses points too and they're not all that reliable either. there must be a HEI type distributor thats just a little smaller than a GM HEI. some of you have had to of had this problem and I know you wouldn't settle for a points style ignition. somebody please head me in the right direction here! I'll throw my tunnel ram in the garbage before I switch to points (sorry poncho62, I just think they're 30 years outdated). :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts