Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be ordering from summit soon and want to order as much at once as possible. What I'm looking for is opinions and experiences with a good sending unit. Vehicle is an '85 s10 blazer 4x4, with a 350, corvette radiator and a taurus electric fan. I'm a little confused on what temp range to go for. I've read on here that operating temps at 180 are about optimum for effeciency and engine life. All I want/need is a sensor that will activate the relay. I don't want a radiator probe, so I'm thinking of a thread in unit on the intake. I'm looking at either this painless unit or this be cool one. I'm thinking that I should go with a 195 or 200 turn on. Then maybe use a thermostat of about 185?? Thanks

Jason

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
You can go to a NAPA store and look at some of your options.

I have a switch that turns on @ 220--off at 205---195 t-stat
Probably a bit warm, but is only needed when not moving.
At about 30mph it runs around 200*
454-twin Spal fans-BeCool rad

Bryan

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
The turn-OFF temperature for the fan control must be higher the thermostat rating.

If a 180* thermostat is used, a 185* fan control turn-OFF temp. would be used.

If the turn-OFF temperature is lower than the thermostat rating, the fan will never turn off because the thermostat will begin to close if the water temperature goes below 180*.

vicrod

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

A little advise, that is a common misconception when asking for the part..

Be sure the parts guy KNOWS it is a FAN MOTOR temperature SWITCH..not a SENDER.

The book will show two..Engine Coolant Sender, and Engine fan switch..the two usually are not compatible (either electrically or mechanically) It will save you some "hair pulling" hours of figuring out why..

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.