Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 pulley crank setup with no balancer,dampener, whatever you call it. it's only 2 pulleys. How can I attach some timing marks on this, so that i can graph my timing curve? Chevy 194

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I take it you have the tab with the degrees on it that attaches to the engine. What you need is a piston stop. You could make one out of an old spark plug, knock out the electrode, insulator etc. Fit a bolt through there that will extend into the cylinder a ways.

Screw that into bock in #1 hole. Hand rotate the engine until it stops on the stop. Mark the pulley at 0 degrees. Turn the other way until it stops again. Mark it. Half way in between these marks is Top Dead Center. Using that mark and the degrees scale to time your engine.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
The pullies are part of a hub that bolts on. Usually just one pulley for the belt drive on the alt and water pump. 2 pullies for ps equipped vehicles.
No harmonic balancer used.
Early 283 was the same.
Should be a notch in the pulley closest to the timing cover.
Measure pulley diameter with a string then divide that by 36 to find and mark 10 degree increments.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pullies are part of a hub that bolts on. Usually just one pulley for the belt drive on the alt and water pump. 2 pullies for ps equipped vehicles.
No harmonic balancer used.
Early 283 was the same.
Should be a notch in the pulley closest to the timing cover.
Measure pulley diameter with a string then divide that by 36 to find and mark 10 degree increments.
Exactly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.