Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 dodge charger that i need a wiring diagram for. The car has a problem starting, it turns over but unless you have the jumper wires hooked up at the back of the ignition switch it don't start. I've checked the ballast resister it's good and the switch is brand new so its in the wiring. Any help would be helpful. thanks :welcome:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

How many wires are on the ballast? Should be 3..Red, Pink and Red..

The first red goes to the Ignition switch and ties to a black that goes to an oil pressure switch , from there to a black to the regulator.

The Pink goes directly to the Ignition Switch.

The Red goes to the coil..

Is that what you have?

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the resister

The ballast resister is good the wiring is fine to the fire wall, but from the firewall to the ignition switch is wrong. It hooks in to a terminal on the switch thats only hot when you are cranking over.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

The diagram shows only 3.. so some one has added an extra.

You should have 12 volts at the non~Coil side of the resistor with the key on..and about that while cranking..If it drops out, the secondary side is open.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Should be the RED wire ON the Ignition switch ges to non coil side of the resistor...

Pink is secondary goes to the coil side of the resistor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 4 terminals. top right is blue and goes to the bottom right witch also has a white wires top left has 2 brown wires and bottom left has a green wire. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Doesn't sound anything like my drawing at all. Did you do the voltage test at the ballast as I outlined?

Try the local library reference room for a schematic of your car..or Napa or Auto Zombie sells Chiltons and Haynes manuals with a diagram in them.

Other than that it will require some point to point troubleshooting with a meter to find the open (if one exists) ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts