Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time block sanding. I've done a lot of research , but most of the information I found is on sanding filler for small areas, not entire panels like this.

Am I taking down too much filler? I'm currently using 80 grit.

At what point do I switch to 150 or 220 grit?

I started on the upper right corner and working my way down, then to the left. The lower curve area is tough to reach. I think i need a more flexible block here.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
From your picture it looks as though you already have the proper sanding blocks so I will not go into that. You will use 80 or even 36 grit to first knock down the new filler. Once you no longer see un-sanded filler then switch to 180. You also need some type of guide coat to indicate low spots. Some will advocate the use of a cheap spray bomb of contrasting color paint to do this. What I have found works even better than that is 3M's "Guide Coat". It is a black powder that easily indicates any low spots. There is no paint to sand away and the powder can even be used wet. A tub of it will last through 5 or 6 cars, so it goes a long way.

Vince

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.