Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have many parts (such as hood hinges, motor mounts,axle housings and widgets I want to paint gloss black. Any suggestions as to paint type, brand,etc that a guy in a home shop can use? Should I prime? If so with what?

All parts will be glass beaded or bare metal, probably no body filler.

·
8,453 Posts
Feel like a broken record but the parts you mentioned do super when powder coated. It is relatively quite inexpensive. Paint is ok but hinges, brackets, etc. chip easily in service when painted whereas powder coating takes extreme abuses with flying colors. If you decide to paint and want a very good, durable job, forget the rattle cans. You will need to do a color clear coat, preferably catalyzed urethane.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Well, I would agree that urethane or powder coat is better, but I am unwilling to spend 100's of dallars for all the little brackets you are speaking of. Most powder coat places require a fairly high dallar minimum to run a set of parts.

That said, I like duplicolor High Temp Ceramic Engine enamel. It goes on very smooth, and is much harder than most of the rattle can stuff. Just depends on what your purpose is. My perspective is that if the little pieces get messed up or faded in a couple years, they are easy to pull off and recoat.

I am, however, a bit of a cheap *** when I get a chance to be. If it is a no holds barred show car and money is not an option, I would go for powder coating.

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks-I may have some of the larger pieces powder coated, but will still paint some of the small stuff. Probably just use a small "detail" gun, and buy some good Dupont base coat/clear coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts