Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 77 351 Windsor, completely rebuilt. Got less than 800 miles on it. Started out dying every once in a while..so I thought it was bad gas drained the tank and still the same problem so i put a new fuel pump rebuilt carb new plugs and wires, points and new coil. Now the truck won't even idle correctly and if u give it gas it wants to die. Timings on cause if u do get it idling good and give it gas it'll purr like a kitten till u take ur foot off the gas and then u get a rough idle...please help

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Here is some suggestions to check out. Take a can of starter fluid and spray along the intake where it bolts to the head. Also spray the front and rear of the intake checking the gaskets for vacuum leaks. You can spray the carburetor base gasket too. The engine should smooth up or the idle will increase. If you have an electonic distrubutor check the module and the pick-up coil assembly. Take a vacuum gauge and do some testing with it. Here is an article on engine testing with a vacuum gauge.Technical Articles: Engine testing with a Vacuum Gauge - at Greg's Engine & Machine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.