Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be Vague, but i have a 406 sbc stock heads rockers. Thats about all i know until i do rebuild myself. Has a pretty aggressive cam imo. My question is: what carb is better, my holley street avenger 670 vs or my proform 750 ms double pumper. Im young and unwise.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Double pumper is not the best choice for alot of street driving for year round use - a vacuum secondary carb will be much better for that. If you have no intention of daily driving through several seasons, i.e. spring, summer, fall.., or no intention of daily driving it at all, then DP is the way to go.

Regarding the 670, it will be undersized for max performance PERHAPS, depending on the output of the motor. For sub 6000 rpm running it will be fine.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
If you are doing both then go with a normal 750 vacuum carb that has a secondary metering block. This will allow you to do jet changes on all 4 corners. You can vary the tune on the vacuum canister to fit the situation. There are a number of kits out there that let you tune it with a screwdriver now so it's very easy. On the street you may want the secondary tighter while on the strip, you will want to open it sooner.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
If you are looking for something reliable for daily street use I would look at the Edelbrock AVS2 carburetor, probably the 800 cfm for your engine. Holley's are also good carburetors, but I've seen a lot of good comments about the AVS2 and its crisp throtte response. It appears to be a lot better than the old Edelbrock 1406.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.