Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
Another vote for the lifter plunger retainer wire clip....those things are bent to resemble a horseshoe and that curve in the end of the wire you founds sure looks like a eyeball match to me for the factory size bends.

You need to forensic examine everything in the valvetrain, from the cam on up.
If it proves to be a lifter clip, you need to find out why. They don't just chuck a clip out, something in the valvetrain is not happy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another vote for the lifter plunger retainer wire clip....those things are bent to resemble a horseshoe and that curve in the end of the wire you founds sure looks like a eyeball match to me for the factory size bends.

You need to forensic examine everything in the valvetrain, from the cam on up.
If it proves to be a lifter clip, you need to find out why. They don't just chuck a clip out, something in the valvetrain is not happy.
I am still having a hard time imagining how it would make it into the filter. Say it comes off, drops to the oil pan, then gets picked up by the pump. Wouldn't it get caught on that oil pump screen?

·
Registered
104 Posts
At first, I agreed. I thought if it got past the screen surely the impellers would have ground it up. But....after seeing all sorts of wierd situations over the years working on my own and friend's cars... I don't doubt anything anymore. We just won't know until you inspect your lifters.

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
Windage inside the crankcase and lifter valley at any decent rpm is like a Category 5 hurricane.....debris will get picked up and carried in ways you cannot make sense of....but it is the way it happens.

I have personally seen pieces of the upper ring land section broken out of one hypereutectic piston end up on top of and beating dents into 5 other cylinders in the engine....pieces kicked back out of the cylinder backwards through the intake port and sucked into another cylinder.

That piece s skinny enough to get through the screen, and although it is a stretch it can also get through the oil pump if oriented right. It would already have to have been broken to the size it currently is though, the entire clip if intact would not get through the screen.

Does that piece of wire bend easily, like wire feed welder wire....or is it stiff, like spring wire??

it sure resembles about 1/3 of the factory lifter plunger clip.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Does that piece of wire bend easily, like wire feed welder wire....or is it stiff, like spring wire??
Great question. Good thing I still have it. It bends fairly easily and, once bent, assumes the new shape without wanting to go back to the original shape. Definitely not a spring wire. I imagine a plunger retainer clip would be made of a stiffer wire, no?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts