Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a shift kit for my 93 AOD for street use, stock engine. I'm not looking for hard bang shifts but I'd like to lose some of the sloppiness that occurs downshifting, etc. Transgo has a good reputation. Their site shows one kit and no part number. Summit sells a TRG-AOD kit and on e-bay I've found AOD-HP and SK-AOD. What's the difference? Their descriptions are all very similar.

Also, the literature says "hold 1st, 2nd, 3rd at any rpm. Because the aod has 4 gears and only 3 positions on the shifter, how is this possible? How to I get it into 4th if it holds 3rd at any rpm? Will I still be able to drive around town in "D" and not have it shift into OD?

I understand the Lentech valve body is a better option with an electric OD lockout button but they are expensive.

thanks

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
murrsue said:
...the literature says "hold 1st, 2nd, 3rd at any rpm. Because the aod has 4 gears and only 3 positions on the shifter, how is this possible? How to I get it into 4th if it holds 3rd at any rpm? Will I still be able to drive around town in "D" and not have it shift into OD?
It means the desired gear can be held manually (w/ gear selector) without the governor overriding the held gear.

There are many upgrades that can be performed to strengthen the AOD. Read through the below sites;

-BAUMANN ENGINEERING-

-TCI TRANSMISSIONS-

Pay particular attention to the THROTTLE VALVE ADJUSTMENT described on both sites.

Anything else, just ask.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Kultulz. Here's what I'm really trying to determine. Right now, with the stock AOD, shifting is like doing the hokey pokey. At wide open throttle when I shift from 1st at redline I click it to second and right back down to first. It will shift to second and hold there. You see, after 20mph the low position on the shifter magically becomes the position for 2nd gear. It takes some getting used to and the first time I shifted back into low while redlining into second gear I was quite nervous, but that's the way it works. I'm wondering if these wacky shifting characteristics change at all after installing a transgo shift kit. It sure would have been a lot nicer if Ford gave the AOD shifter 4 positions for all 4 gears. Murray

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Found this thread while searching for AOD info

sorry to dig it back up, but reading murrsue's post about the 1-2 shift was the first time I've heard that. So, how would you "power" shift though the gears with an AOD? Do you shift 1-2-1, then 1-2 again to get third over 20 mph?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, if you want to run your car at the strip you have to go 1,2 and right back down to 1 then 2 to shift to 3rd. 1,2,1,2. The first time you try it it's pretty scary to redline in first, shift to second and then drop the shifter down to 1st position again to hold the car in 2nd gear until you shift to 3rd. Like I said it's like doing the hokey pokey.

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
Ford started that with the FMX trannies. Then got smart and did away with it in the c4 nd c6. Then the dip sticks resurrected it with the AOD. Not one of their better Ideas.

I have a B&M shift kit in mine. I had the shop that rebuilt it install the street/rv set up. I have a crown vic with the 5.0 EFI and just wanted to get rid of the slush box feel.

It shifts smooth and if I stomp the loud pedal, second hits just right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts