Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And better gear splits.
Eric, Yes, ease of the installation is a major factor. The 2004R has a lower first & second gears. The 2004R has a 2.76 1st & 1.57 2nd gear while the TH 350 has a 2.52 1st & 1.52 2nd gears. This an incidental difference although the 2.76 1st gear will help satisfy my desire for a lower total ratio than my 3.73 yields to launch better. Should decrease my 60' time and my total time? Anybody Drag Racing with a 2004R in street/strip car?

52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not to be negative, but...
Have you been following the "news" regarding Fontana?

They're "reconfiguring" the Speedway...
On their drawing of the "proposal" to the county, it doesn't look like the area of the property with the Drag Strip (and backstretch of the speedway) is part of the plan at all.
Since they're shrinking the speedway down to 1/2 mile, it will fit within the current front-stretch to pit area of the infield, so the rumors are that everything beyond the garages will be sold off... which includes the Drag Strip.

I'm pretty pissed off, since I just replaced my entire drivetrain so that I could go to the Strip, since it's about 3 miles from my house...
Just as I was building my 383, the last piece of the puzzle, I found out that Nascar (who now owns the Speedway) had proposed this "reconfiguration".
F-ing figures...

If you run across any drag racers with ideas on how we might be able to keep the last 1/4 mile strip in So Cal, let us know...
I don't know if they're planning on opening the strip at all before the "reconfiguration". As of now it says "will remain closed" (due to COVID)... not "until", just "will remain".
SoulSurfSD, This is very depressing to me. Why limit our opportunities for 1/4 mile runs legally! I guess they want us to take it to the streets at midnight. With less Police we shouldn't have any problems. Let's hope that they include "Street Legal Drags" for us to kep it SAFE - Jerry

·
Registered
433 Posts
I suppose that some sort of petition showing the support/need for a drag strip would be a starting point...
However, since it's owned by Nascar now, I'm not sure if there would be any interest on their part.
I wonder if the County could be convinced to make it a requirement of the "reconfiguration" (which requires County approval) to have a drag strip on the property, in that it would be good for public safety etc.

I have no idea what the revenue from the current strip has been, as well as what the cost would be to build a new one if keeping the current one isn't an option...
So Cal drag racers are going to have to figure out how to convince the County and Nascar that there is a benefit to it.
I personally think that Street Legal Drags would be a way to connect people to the Nascar events at the speedway as well.
Convincing Nascar of any benefits to them is the trick...

·
More for Less Racer
19,905 Posts
We just lost our second dragstrip in 3 years for the Michigan/Indiana?Northern Illinois guys.
The old 1/4 mile Onondaga Dragway (near Jackson Mi) was rebuilt out to 1/8" mile after having been dormant since the early 1980's, then a local lawsuit shut it down. They got it reopened for a short time, another lawsuit from the same idiot shut it down again, and then the driving force behind the rebuild of the place passed away....it'll likely never re-open.

And now we just lost Osceola Dragway in Osceola Indiana.....1/4 mile old time strip had been around since like 1960....could not make it through the Covid year. They just announced it was done. Ms Ruth that was the owner I know was getting quite old.

At the same time, illegal street racing is at an all time high, all over the news recently, and it'll get worse.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, I think the best we could hope for in Fontana is an 1/8-mile strip.
I guess that's better than nothing, but we'll still have to see whether they're even considering it.

They boast that they'll be building a "new, state of the art facility", so we'll have to find out what features that includes...

·
Registered
433 Posts
So I decided to look at their proposal plan again, and I made an overlay of the new plan over the current facility...
The dark gray areas appear to be existing buildings and grandstands.
The light gray areas appear to be new buildings etc.
Notice the area where the lower right corner of the white overlay meets the current photo, above where it says "Entry Rd", there's an old 1/8 mile drag strip.
It doesn't look like that's in the new plans either...

52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I decided to look at their proposal plan again, and I made an overlay of the new plan over the current facility...
The dark gray areas appear to be existing buildings and grandstands.
The light gray areas appear to be new buildings etc.
Notice the area where the lower right corner of the white overlay meets the current photo, above where it says "Entry Rd", there's an old 1/8 mile drag strip.
It doesn't look like that's in the new plans either...

View attachment 615257
Is anyone Drag Racing using a 2004R transmission? Art Carr says his built 2004R is guaranteed even when Drag Racing as long as you buy the upgrades recommended to increase it's durability.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,729 Posts
Is anyone Drag Racing using a 2004R transmission?
Maybe a few people...

I just got through building a 200-4R. The first thing to remember is that the 200-4R was derived from the much-maligned TH200C, and shares a lot of internal hard parts. That's why those upgrades are so important. It also weighs about 30 lbs less than a TH400, which should tell you something. And yeah, a turbo motor doesn't hit as hard as a big block, but that's still a LOT of torque going through that 200-4R on a 9 sec run. I strongly suggest contacting CK Performance. They've discovered all the ways to break a 200-4R and sell fixes for them. Their complete kit with all the upgraded internal parts runs about $2700, and you still have to build the trans yourself. When you're done, that trans will live at the track and will still weigh less than a TH400.

52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Maybe a few people...

I just got through building a 200-4R. The first thing to remember is that the 200-4R was derived from the much-maligned TH200C, and shares a lot of internal hard parts. That's why those upgrades are so important. It also weighs about 30 lbs less than a TH400, which should tell you something. And yeah, a turbo motor doesn't hit as hard as a big block, but that's still a LOT of torque going through that 200-4R on a 9 sec run. I strongly suggest contacting CK Performance. They've discovered all the ways to break a 200-4R and sell fixes for them. Their complete kit with all the upgraded internal parts runs about $2700, and you still have to build the trans yourself. When you're done, that trans will live at the track and will still weigh less than a TH400.
Joe, I've met with Art Carr at CKP and "built on paper" a transmission that will be great for my Olds powered Firebird. It's not his "Ultimate" 2004R but close to it. I might even go for the "Ultimate" model, I haven't decided yet. Art says I don't need to spend the extra money but after close to $4,000 for a complete Transmission and associated installation parts including a 2600 - 2800 rpm stall speed he builds what's a few more hundred dollars. I'll let you know how it goes... Thanks for the feedback.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts