Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Dart that I'm building and I'm to the point where I need to order a differential, because my stock 7.25 little diff just won't cut the mustard. I'm moving the leaf spring perches inboard 3" to the frame rails and mini tubbing the inner fenderwells. My question is when ordering my new Dana 60 or Chrysler 8.75 ; I'll need to know what width to have it cut to? I've never done this before; so does anyone have an idea how far outside the leaf springs the housing flanges "should" be? I'll also be installing drum brakes in back :confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,370 Posts
First...I woulkd have the wheels and tires that you are going to use on hand. They will tell you where the outside of the brake drums need to be...............and go from there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well; the only deal there is that I don't have them; not until the body work gets done. I just figured i'd look into what wheel backspacing I would need to offset the wheels.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
I don't know of a good way to do it with out the wheels and tires. I get the wheels and tires before I start the tubbing job. Cut the floor out insert wheels and tires then measure between the wheel flanges to get the rear end width. Maybe someone you know could let you borrow a set to get an idea of what you will need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts