Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. I completely rebuilt the body when i bought this car. Frame holes and all with the help of my dad. i bought it in the winter so i didn't drive it much. It has a Good wrench 350 (1978). Once i did i put a new distributor (thinks its a GM Performance one), A Q-Jet Rochester 750cfm stage 2 carb, Edelbrock Performer 2101. I started driving it and it smokes at start up. I replaced the Valve seals. Didnt smoke for a week then started smoking again. I pulled off the valve covers and checked the seals the passenger side was fine. The driver side were all cut up. I looked closer and i saw the engine had two different heads. The passenger side numbers are 14014416 with i looked up and seems to be off a 305, and on the driver side was 333882 witch is the stock head. I heard the 882 isnt a good head and isnt seated? I want to make both heads the same and im not sure what heads would be good for my application i have. What heads are good for a 1978 350 that isnt too expensive. or maybe a reman one? Im not too sure what else the engine has in it. It seems some one put steel Crane Cam Rockers on it though. Please help and give advice. :)

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The 416 head has a 58cc chamber, the 882 has a 76cc, that`s knocking it out of balance due to one side has a higher compression ratio than the other.
How much are you looking to spend? If it were mine I would get some basic world products replacement heads as they will bolt up to your current parts. I would recommend Vortec heads, but that would mean you would have to get a intake as well as self aligning rockers and that`s a bit more than your looking to spend. The cheapest route would be to find another 416 casting and replace the 882 with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt the 416 off the 305 kinda weak for a 350? im lookin to get more power in the end.i can spend a good amount but id rather not obviously =). What Model world or the vortex would you recommend. As well as rockers? and what not.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
PiperDavid14 said:
As well as the new intake i put on isnt good enough for the vortex heads? or what is the problem with that. Im new to all of this.
The Vortec intake/head bolt pattern is different(4 bolts per side and vertical) than the earlier intakes/heads(6 bolts per side and angled).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.