Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im almost done on my truck. its a 62 chevy stepside.

i told some guy about my truck and how i was just about ready to put a sbc in it, he looked at my suspension and said that it will not hold up against the weight of the engine! is this true? can i get some input on this? it has the stock suspension on it from that year. he also said that maybe a 327 could do but he didn't know

i need input, please guys?!?!

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
I say............"BS".............

If the truck had the straight 6, those motors weighed as much or more than a SB Chevy, which those trucks also came with.

Maybe he means that the suspension needs rebuilding, because the parts are worn out. That would make more sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya just relieved the **** out of me!!!!!

ok so every thing is fine, they are the stock components, but just have to replace?

does any body know where i can get some good suspension parts?

when i was sandblasting the engine bay, i saw the springs and shocks, and those looked small(like sport bike springs)!?

then i squeezed one of the springs, and could almost easily bring on spring thread close to the other. is that how they are supposed to feel?

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
I had a 61 pickup that had torsion bar suspension...............wonder if the 62 was the same. If it is, you are looking at the shocks with "coil overs"

You should be able to get suspension parts at any parts store...................UAP, NAPA etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes pancho, mine has torsion bars, and the shocks.

if i was to put the motor in and get it running, can i drive around w/those shocks till i get some money to replace them with?

can auto Zone carry them? is there any after market parts available, like maybe coilovers?

ya helped me a great deal, thanks.

ill have pics posted soon as i finish it, too!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.