Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a Rochester 4 Jet carburetor but have not had luck finding a kit at my local Napa, Autozone or O'Reilly auto parts stores.

The problem is that they need either a tag, which is no longer on the carb, or the original vehicle it is off of. I don't know the original vehicle.

Could anybody help with either which vehicles this carb came on or possibly a part number from any of the stores mentioned above?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
carb ID

The only thing I can think of is to look and see if there is a casting number on the carb body. Do you know the CFM of your carb?
If you do, you might want to see if that size was available on the engine you are running it on. If that turns out to be good, then I would get a kit for that carb based on your year and size of engine, etc.

Once you get a part number for that kit, then find out what years that kit will work on. If it will cover several years of production, then you will probably be in good shape to use that one. If not, then if you can get your counter man to look it up, find a kit that does cover a large number of years.

Im no great shakes on Q-jets, but have found that most kits for a type of carb are somewhat universal in application.

For instance if your carb was available on a given year passenger car but not for a pickup and you have that carb on your pickup, then try the automobile listing for it. Another thing that would be helpful is what size engine it came off of, and type of trans as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only info on the carb body is that it is a Rochester 4 Jet. I can find no numbers, even after it is thoroughly cleaned.

This carb came off of, but is not original on, a 66 Chevrolet pickup with a 283.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
According to Chevy by the Numbers, there should be a number located either on a round metal cap on the left side of the carb, or stamped into the body of the carb on the left side behind the linkage.

If you can find that number, we can probably find the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The 4-Jet (Model 4G or 4GC, not a Quadrajet) does not have an ID number stamped on it. The only ID number is on a thin metal tag attached to one of the air horn screws.

www.partsamerica.com (click on replacement parts) shows a couple of carb kits for the 4G under the G P Sorenson brand name. One for a '57 Corvette 283 has part number 96123F, and one for a '65 Chevelle 283 has part number 96114B. I don't know how they differ, so you may have to do some parts matching down at the local parts store to find out which one will work for you. If they don't carry that brand, they should be able to cross-reference it. Mounting gasket is Fel-Pro 9474.

Edit: they also show PN 96123F for a '66 truck w/283-327. The thought just occurred to me that the difference might be in the choke setup (4G has a manual choke, 4GC has an automatic choke).

·
Registered
17 Posts
carb talk

Just read your post,and this might help. My neighbor has a 1957 chevy with a 283 v8 and it has a rochester 4Bbl. carb on it. You might also try Autozone, Summit, and Jegs, they might be able to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.