Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just need a little help getting this thing running..

i have a 454 bored .30 over all forged internals.
kieth black .25 dome pistons
lunati solid roller 663 683 lift. 246 255 @ 50
double roller chain

i just wanna get this thing going even if it wont be at its full potential. i cant afford to spend a couple grand right now and its killing me not to drive it.
so my question for you guys is what would be a semi decent head to run temporary until i save enough for some nice brodix alum heads or something.
any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
You are using a solid roller cam so buy the good heads now.I wouldnt want to use stock valves with a roller cam and I see no reason to buy god stainless valves for stock or cheap heads. Dart 335 heads are good.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
KB257 is a hypereutectic cast piston for use with open chamber heads. Most aftermarket heads are open chamber designs. The 781 GM head will make good power and are plentiful.
FYI, those pistons may hit when used with some aftermarket heads. You can grind the chamber a little to correct.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
hey guys just need a little help getting this thing running..

i have a 454 bored .30 over all forged internals.
kieth black .25 dome pistons
lunati solid roller 663 683 lift. 246 255 @ 50
double roller chain

i just wanna get this thing going even if it wont be at its full potential. i cant afford to spend a couple grand right now and its killing me not to drive it.
so my question for you guys is what would be a semi decent head to run temporary until i save enough for some nice brodix alum heads or something.
any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks
Brandon
049 or 781 casting number heads are the "go-to" production BBC head. They need larger valves (can get by w/2.19" x 1.88") and you will need to pay attention to the deck height/gasket thickness/quench; keep the quench around 0.040" to maintain ~10:1 compression ratio or the cam will be way out of sync w/the rest of the build.

Some things to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.