Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Chevy Longwide with a 292 L6, and the motor is long-overdue for a rebuild. Stock it put out 170HP and 275 lb/ft tq. I want to rebuild it modified to get about 250-280 HP and 350-400 lb/ft tq, but I´m operating on a budget. Any ideas on mods? Some things I´m thinking are a Crane Cam, Offenhauser 4-barrel intake manifold and Edelbrock Carb, Headman Header and turbo exhaust. If I can find a set for this engine I´d like to get Ross Pistons as well. I know they´re high but they have great performance and I want the name because my name is Ross :pimp: . Any ideas on other mods? Any help is GREATLY appreciated :thumbup: .

BTW don´t tell me to put a V8 in it. Everybody puts V8s in these pickups. I dare to be original, by keeping the original motor in it, but not in original shape.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Put some good rod bolts in it, & make sure it's balanced well. Those engines will turn high rpm, but they get into some strange & destructive crankshaft harmonics when they get to spinning fast. Years ago I had a 292 with a 310* Crower cam in it & it shook the flywheel & damper off several times (never at the same time), and finally put a rod through the side of the block. But it ran great up through 7000+ RPM, & in a '69 Nova body, kept up with a big block Camaro from 40-95MPH. I wouldn't recommend anything quite that radical, but maybe I'm just getting old. :D

Here's Leo Santucci's book on hot-rodding Chevy sixes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/1931128154/103-7214295-0579824?_encoding=UTF8

1 - 2 of 2 Posts