Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,274 Posts
Welcome...nice ornament.
I did a search for "flying swan" and most of the hits came back for Kenworth. Hopefully some of the "old timers" will see this and know what it's from.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Could have belonged to Howard Huges "SPRUCE GOOSE "

LOL ,sorry I really don't know couldn't pass it up .

looks similar to an early Buick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hood ornament

Mr. Phillips, I've spent one hour on three different occasions for a total of three hours searching for this hood ornament. My curiousity got the best of me.

It appears that its likely an aftermarket piece. It looks like some of the ornaments that are sold in the J.C.Whitney catalog. Could be an older piece made by Gem Manufacturing. The bird style looks somewhat like Gem #523 but yours has a ring around it and a different base. It may show up in some OLD J.C.Whitney catalogs. There is a web site, Gem Collectables, that may help but it has been identified as a source of malicious viruses, so I'm not going to try it.

If you are able to ID the piece, please come back and let us know what it is. Or, at least, thank the people that responded. This could be the trivia stumper of the year!

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
And Mr. Phllips I assume you want to know so you can sell it (this happens often on the forums from first time posters) here's my tip. List it on ebay with every car and truck manufacturer you know of in the text. Put every year from 1930-1965 one after another in the text.

On the title put "vintage" and "Custom" and "Rat rod" and "Ratrod". Fill the entire title area with every word that someone could search with "Ornament" "Emblem" "hood" "radiator" "Grille" as many that will fit (without the "quotes").

This will ensure that everyone who could possible want it will see it in their searches. Just a thought. Start it out at a low amount so it DOES sell and what ever you get for it is by all rights "what it's worth" because it will have been seen by many buyers.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts