Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a Anglia Gasser,, and need some help identifing this rearend,, I was told by the previous owner that it is a 57 Oldsmobile,, but I have looked all over the internet for some pictures, without much luck,, anyone have a idea what it is???? Thanks Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Rear end I.D.

Yes,57-64 Olds/Pont.9.3"ring gear.Pretty stout but HEAVY.Still lots of stuff available for them. Just not that popular anymore as everyone seems to do 9" FOMOCO. BUTCH.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Butch,, I have a winters Q/C that I was trading for a 9" with strange punk and axles,, all set up with a 4 link,, but the winters is too wide at the bells to narrow enough to fit his Metro,, so I guess I am back to the Olds,, which is all new ,, but like you said Heavy,, I intend to redo the chassis with a 4 link, and a chris Alston independent f/e , do you drag race? Thanks for the infromation,, I appreciate it,, Bill

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
Tom's Differentials was a good source for decent priced parts that will fit that Pontiac axle.

If you decide to pull the pumpkin, you will need a lifting device or 3 men and a boy to lift it.

The strength in that thing is based on its MASS not engineering.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to tear this thing apart and see whats inside,, I don't know if it has a posi , spool or what,, then deccide what I want to do,, I would think it would be worth a couple a bucks on E-bay,, I don't really plan on racing the car,, just a nasty street trouble maker,, :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
Olds/Pont rear end.

I say KEEP IT! It's all set up in the chassis and looks good, and has that "correct" look also.My 56' Sedan Delivery is getting a 57' Olds axle that's all new.Open carrier with 3.42's and I have an extra set of 29 spline axles. Then I also have 2 3rd members, one 4.88 posi and the other 5.38 posi,and a set of 31 spline aftermarket axles that will need 1" cut off the splined end to fit the 57' housing. Used to bracker race;56' big block Business Coupe,then 120" FED called Short Circuit that had an Olds/Pont rear with 4.10 gears on an open carrier, 9.23 E.T. @ 146 MPH, then a 210" rear motored dragster. Got tired of NHRA changing rules and safety equipment on what seemed like a weekly basis so sold the dragster and bought my Delivery. This makes my 9th 56' Chevrolet and the one they'll bury me in. Again, keep that rear! BUTCH.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I been thinking the same thing,,since the trade fell through,, I just got the motor back from the Machine shop,, blown BBC460, Comp roller, Hyd. I 566-E 575 big valves in ported 781 Heads,, the chassis is a early TCI, with a 4" dropped tube axle with gm p/u spindles. but I have got a Chris Alston independent front end . with new front rails,, the car was started in the early 70 as a gasser ,, but the owner never finished it [ and it set in his garage untill I bought it about 4 years ago,,] its pure nastaglia, and I have thought about just finishing it up that way, sure would be cheaper,,

Attachments

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
In the early 70's the pontiac rear ends were the 9" of the day.

If you are not going to competitive race it, stick with what is there. It is as authentic as you can ever hope to get.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
junior stocker said:
This makes my 9th 56' Chevrolet and the one they'll
bury me in.

BUTCH.

Let's hope in 40 years your great-grandchildren will want to keep the car....It will be really rare and YOU really won't need it anymore anyway. :thumbup:

(of course, fuel might be a consideration :D )

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked up toms differentials , your right he does have a good selection,, what size Ring and pinion does that olds have,, they show all the way up to a 11.5.. is 9.3 the R&P size
edit.. went back and reread the post,, 9.3 should be the size ??

·
Registered
942 Posts
Olds/Pont rear end.

The ring gear diameter on 57-64 Olds/Pont rear end is 9.3"(kinda like a 9" FOMOCO has a 9" ring gear).There's a fella named "Nate" on this and many other sites that has a lot of these rear ends and parts; I think he logs on as "Blownolds".Why don't you just check and see what's in the carrier;at the very least you'd know for trading/selling purposes, or it might be usable for the street even.Oh, I have a model kit, new-in-the-box, of a Thames Panel Truck if you're interested, for cheap. BUTCH (425)355-1744.........................

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went out last night , planning on pulling the punk out,, [thats sounds threating doesn't it :D ] but it was colder than a well diggers butt out there, we actually had a little snow last night,,,,,so I had second thoughts,,,, but thats the next step;; there is a performance swap meet here this sunday,, might find something I just can;t do with out,, ;)
Butch,,, do you do most of your racing in Alburn,, I go to the nats there every year,, we use to race quarter midgets in everett, in the early 90's, then went into sprint cars ,, ran at skagett a lot,,
what scale is that model?? and price,,, I have a few diecast thames panels,, Bill

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Better late than never,,, I finally got the pumpkin out and found out it is a NON posi 3.23 13 teeth on pinion and 42 on ring,, so now who has a posi unit, for this dinasour,, I have a alum detroit locker for a winters Q/C and think it is the same as a ford 9", any ideas??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bill, were is the swap meet at?
If you need a hand to cary that heavy thing around let me know, but you better hurry cause my back might go out any day now.LOL.
I didnt get any snow on this side of town. We did last week but not much. Still had to go to work. Why did I every get into construction? I hate working outside in the cold. What was I thinking?LOL

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The swap was in Canby yesterday [sunday],, I got up early to go, and it was colder than a well diggers butt,, so I decided to drink another pot of coffee and forget it,,,,
I know all about that construction stuff,,, I did it for 45 years, don't miss it at all.. at least the hvac isn't too bad.. you could be diggin ditches,, :thumbup: Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
Story of my life. A day late.LOL. O well I would just spend money I dont have.
If I used my ex girlfriends thinking as long as I have checks I have money in the bank.LOL.
Stay warm over there. Its suppose to snow tonight.

·
Registered
942 Posts
rear end

Bill, me again.First, find out what spline you have on the axles. 29 spline were a one year deal and you will NEVER find a posi for one. Most likely 31 spline and they're on E-Bay all the time but not cheap. Does Eaton make them? They do for 55-64 Chevrolet;same "era". Try FabCraftMetalWorks.com as he deals in the gears. And try "BLOWNOLDS" on this and other sites as he seems to have the stuff and the knowledge;do a search for his posts. Many Olds/Pont came with a 3.64:1 gear;that would be a good ratio for a light, street driven car, though hard to find these days. Good luck. BUTCH.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the infro,, Butch,,, I will check that out, for future referance, but I have decided to use the Winters Q/C that I bought for the Anglia in the first place, I had a chance to trade it for the Strange equipped 9",, but that deal fell through, so after some critical measureing I think the winters will work in the Anglia,,and I already have a locker for it,, I just can't use the narrowed 4 link, but can use the same 4 bar that is in the car now,, [see previous pictures], that will save me some money on replacing the back frame section to the narrower rails, remember this car isn't going to be raced,, also thinking about replacing the coil overs with air bags,,
Thanks alot for all the infromation on this Olds R/E , if anyone is looking for a olds R/E like this,, let me know,, complete with new drum brakes, everything is new still in the box,,, also the front 4" dropped tube axle with coilovers is for sale also,, Thanks again guys,,I apprecate all the help Bill :thumbup:

EDIT,,,,,, as for thr the gear ratio,, The ring is 43 teeth and the pinion is 13, I calcuate it to be a 3.23 ???????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts