Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have a 68 camaro with ladder bars, and I'm wondering what the process should be to make sure the when the car is on the ground, the suspension and coilovers are not fighting each other. In other words, how do I ensure that the ladder bars are adjusted to set the car straight, and that the coilovers have the proper preload to balance the car as well. Obvisoulsy they can both be adjusted independent of each other, and for me it's hard to sort out whether the ladder bar is at fault or the spring preload.

It's easy to have one spring with more preload, but have the ladder bar adjusted so that the net effect is zero.

I've searched a few places and no one really says what the procedure would be. I don't have 4 wheel scales, either, so I'll have to do some garage trickery.

The car was sitting higher up on the pass. side. Last night I decided that the only way to determine if the ladder bars were adjusted correctly was to take one of the bolts out of the bottom bar mounts and drop the car back on the ground to see if the stance changed. I then looked at the mount and saw that the holes didn't line up - which suggests to me that the lower adjustment was incorrectly setup as far as being neutral weight dist..

Am I making any sense? :drunk:

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
If you haven't already committed your tax refund to cover the Christmas expenses, I'd suggest the purchase of those wheel scales. That's really the only way to know what's happening. Then, use the traction dyno (Pages 5, 19, and 23) of my blog and tune for equal rear tire loading on launch:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BillyShope said:
If you haven't already committed your tax refund to cover the Christmas expenses, I'd suggest the purchase of those wheel scales. That's really the only way to know what's happening. Then, use the traction dyno (Pages 5, 19, and 23) of my blog and tune for equal rear tire loading on launch:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope

Thanks for the link!!

that's a great and very informative website that you've got there! Very nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts