Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not looking to pull the head. I don't have much time or money I am in the navy and don't have much free time to do this type of thing. and being an e4 the pay yea. Well pulling the plug out everything came out except for the threads. nothing fell in to the cylinder. how can I do this without pulling the head.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
My response to your question in the other thread...

Blazin72 said:
Do as Poncho suggested and try an easyout. You can get them at a parts store. This happened in my friends Fiero and an easyout took it right out. Once you get it out disconnect the power to the coil/coils and crank the engine several times to try and blow any debris out that may have fallen into the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
LXZ590 said:
not looking to pull the head. I don't have much time or money I am in the navy and don't have much free time to do this type of thing. and being an e4 the pay yea. Well pulling the plug out everything came out except for the threads. nothing fell in to the cylinder. how can I do this without pulling the head.
So what is left in there? Part of the spark plug or did you strip the threads? The car really doesn't car what you rank or pay is, the solution will still be the same and cost the same to fix right. If you stripped the threads, it can be a touchy situation. There are inserts. If you broke off the spark plug at the threads then an easy-out is pretty much about it and you may have to pull the head if that doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Where there is a will, there is a way....

Last year I broke one in my wifes car,( 91 acura) and took an easyout to the remains.
The easy out wouldn't grab it so I wound up using a left handed drill bit on it.
That only drilled it bigger so I wound up drilling out the remains of the plug and chasing the threads with a tap.

I got some of the plug parts and chips down in the chamber and spent some time fishing it out with a magnet.

The biggest piece was 2 threads worth of the very end of the plug that wound it's way down into the cylinder when I was drilling with the big drill bit. I guess the drill caught on the ground electrode and screwed that peice right on in.

I could not pull it out with a magnet or a hook made out of welding rod. :( It was too big to go back through the hole.

I am stubborn and determined to NOT pull the head. :spank:

I ground a chisel end on a long drift punch and reached in through the spark plug hole and chisel cut the piece in half on top of the piston while it was still in the chamber. Then I fished out the now smaller pieces with the magnet. I made sure that there was nothing else in the cylinder.

I won!

I spent an inordinate amount of time winning, but now that stupid car knows just who is boss :p

Yes it still runs.

Later, mikey

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
My advice, since it sounds like the threads are stuck togather.
If possible, get a punch and hammer in there. And spray the plug down with some wd-40, and tap on it with the punch and hammer. Try to hit it from an angle, in the direction you would go to turn it out (counter clockwise). That should help knock it loose, and loosen up any corrosion in the threads.
Then go at it with an easy out or left hand drill bit.

Brad

·
Registered
16 Posts
LXZ590 said:
not looking to pull the head. I don't have much time or money I am in the navy and don't have much free time to do this type of thing. and being an e4 the pay yea. Well pulling the plug out everything came out except for the threads. nothing fell in to the cylinder. how can I do this without pulling the head.[/QUOTE

You said you dont have that much time, are you on leave and the car is going to stay behind, after you leave. if thats the case why dont you save it for when you get back and do have time and $$ and do it the right way. Enjoy your leave go out have some fun.

As for the threads left in the head an easy out would more than likely work but what caused the sparkplug to break? Or did just the porcelin break? You should still have the hex peice still attached to the threads did that shear?

100% way of knowing that there is nothing there is pulling the head, but im more of the "if you are in there might as well" school of thinking. Pulling the head is work but that is not the only way to deal with it.

While i dont think chiseling on top of a piston is a recomendable ideal, if it fell in, it fit in the hole and in it can come out just have to play with it and not get frusterated. But if it worked for Mike and you want to have a wack at it, its your car, go ahead. I have seen crazier stuff get cars back on the road, for a while at least.

Worst comes to worse you could even try droping the valve just far enough to get it out the exhaust port. As you would when you change a valve seal just make sure you dont drop the valve in (run the piston up before you remove the retainers).

what type of car/motor is this on?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.