Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mothers Honda Pilot has some type of residue on the windshield. Not noticeble in the daytime, then if it rains or you wash your windshield its like little oily spots appear. You can not see if it is raining!!! I don't know what it is. Maybe acid rain?? We have tried windex, alcohol, vineagar, coke (i know that sounds strange but somebody told us to do it) I'm clueless and it's going to rain in a day or so....Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
The only other thing I would try is a brand new razer blade and some glass cleaner. Just try and see if will scrape of. You wont scratch the glass unless you do something really wrong! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
It sounds like someone waxed the windshhield :pain: (my wife used to do that)
Try some wax and grease remover, like the stuff you use before you paint a car. It has a bunch of solvents in it that are nasty to parrafin based things. Follow the instructions then follow up with some good glass cleaner.

If that doesn't do it try some laquer thinner. scrub with a rag wet with thinner, then dry the glass before the laquer thinner evaporates.

Watch your paint!!!!!

There should be no coatings on that glass but just in case, test a small area.

I have done this on several cars and it gets tree dander and bug ooze off. Some times you have to let the rag set on the glass for a while so it soaks into the stuff and then it comes off.

Later, mikey

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
There is another thread that sounds alot like this one here.
Milo said it might be Rain X.

That got me thinking... Mikey thinking=bad idea, I know.
Go check it out.

Another thing I thought of...could it be on the interior? I smoked in my car for years and had a layer of smoke mung on the inside of my w/s that was a B tch to see through, especially when damp, and very hard to clean off.

Mikey

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Whatever it is, use #000 or #0000 steel wool. I promise it won't scratch. I use rubbing alcohol, windex, or sometimes baking soda along with it, but it will take it off nicely.

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I had a friend that put rainX on the interior side of the windshield and when it rained it would fog up like crazy and you could not see a thing. :embarrass

·
Registered
113 Posts
Windshield residue

It may sound odd, but I've seen it work.
Cut a potato in half and use it to srub the glass, then hit it with windex. I was told the acid in the spud is just strong enough to eat the road gunk without damaging anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts