Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sbc 350 in a 85 c10 starving for fuel. I tbought it was a bad fuel pump so I replaced it including tank n got lines blowed out. Still didn't solve it. Me and a buddy of mine put fuel n a bucket wit a electric pump n engine ran until bucket went dry. What do u guys think the problem could be.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Could be the new pump is bad. You should have about 4-1/2 pounds of pressure. Pull the =plugs and feul line at the carb and crank it over to be sure of flow. There maybe still foriegn particles stuck in the line from the tank. Also did you replace all the old rubber hoses on the feul line with new. That is a must do as old rubber will clog up your newly cleaned lines. Is there any depri showing up int hte filter ? check the pump again to be sure it is on the push rod OK.

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,127 Posts
It sounds like the tank vent may be plugged. Maybe it has the wrong cap on the tank or if it has a vent that is plugged somewhere.:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried 2 different mech fuel pumps neither worked. Is it possible cam has a bad lobe on it that's not making contact with push rod.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,061 Posts
You really need to verify fuel pressure with a gauge known to work and is accurate.
IF you find the fuel pressure to be low your possibilities are:

Carb needles and seats
carb line to pump clogged or regulator faulty
Pump push rod failure
inlet hose and filter plugged with debri or collapsing
Tank venting of full of debris.

Your above test tells me the inlet lines and/or tank is the culprit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed all rubber lines n replaced carb. Carb not getting any fuel at all. Inlet filter right before carb is dry. Even tried pulling line off carb and turning engine over result nothing. If i Pour gas n carb it will fire right up.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Changed all rubber lines n replaced carb. Carb not getting any fuel at all. Inlet filter right before carb is dry. Even tried pulling line off carb and turning engine over result nothing. If i Pour gas n carb it will fire right up.
Maybe the inlet and outlet fuel lines are reversed on the fuel pump.

I had a no start situation once on a Pontiac Tri-power and it was a brass fuel fitting that was not completely drilled through.

I suppose that fuel fitting was designed for maximum fuel economy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts