Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ihave a 92 Burb with TBI. It runs like crap at the moment. It misses and hesitates off the line. I have done a ton of work and still no better. It has 125,000 miles. I have done plugs, wires, cap & rotor, distributor, intake gasket, complete new cooling system w/ aluminum radiator,electric fan, high flow water pump. I have changed the EGR, O2 sensor, map sensor, throttle position sensor. You name it! The truck runs very cool. Around 160- it will heat up to around 200 in traffic or with the ac on. Plus it has a new ECM and an upgraded chip.Could it be the O2 sensor (1 wire) not heating up to proper temps? Or could it be the timing chain? I haven't changed this yet. Oh it has a 200 amp alternator as well. I am getting frustrated. I love my truck but I have to make it run!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My friends 1992 suburban 4x4 had the same issues you are describing, ended up being the ignition module from under the cap. It was bad, even though the auto store tester said it was fine. If you havnt replaced that, do it. Those HEI modules are notorious for doing that.

Subman

·
Registered
279 Posts
Does it have any power after the stumble or does it fall on its face? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Is it spraying out of both injectors, or is one kinda dribbling? Just something else to check.

Good luck

John

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Ignition Module & Fuel Pressure

I would check these first, and they are good suggestions.

When you installed the new TPS, did you set the voltage to 0.60 volts with the throttle blades closed? If not, set it correctly and see if it make any difference.

How about your coil? I have a 94' Suburban and the coil went out. Now, I always heard that a coil either works or doesn't; that there are no symptoms it is going bad. Well, I can tell you from experience that mine started going bad over a weeks period of time. The truck ran terrible at cold start-up. About a day before the coil died, we would experience some problems similar to what you describe. Then it suddenly quit altogether.

Just a few more things to check out.

Good luck, Ed. www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try the ignition module, I think. Also maybe go back to AC Delco wires and cap & rotor. The truck has a new fuel pump & filter so I don't think that is it. It runs great when it is cold buts gets worse the hotter it gets. It will pick up after you get past the stumble (sometimes it just takes a little longer!) Keep the ideas coming! I am willing to try just about anything so I don't have to switch it over to carb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts