Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got access to a 700R4 from a 1989 GMC Saffari mini van, that also has the 4.3 vorteck V6 engine in it. The engine is tired but the tranny still seems to work just fine from what i can tell. My ? is,is a 700R4 from a V6 engine as good as one from a V8. Also the Eastwood Co, sales a vodio on how to rebuild these trannies, and was thinking of takeing a shot at it myself if possible. The vehicle that i want to stick it in is my 76 GMC shortbed PU, witch will have a 9.2 c/r, 350 sbc, S/R torquer heads, XR270H Retro Roller cam, 3.40 gears. Will this tranny hold up as is, or should it be rebuilt before it gets installed. (Please Advise):confused: :thumbup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
tranny should work on your v8 but definitly go through it! pick yourself up a haynes book on rebuilding Gm automatic tranny`s, available at your local parts store! :)

·
Administrator
9,810 Posts
As posted it would be wise to bring the tranny up to a spec for a warmed up V8...

Larger boost valves , a vette servo for the band with a fresh band , a 3/4 performance clutch pack , a Transgo JR shift kit works very well in this year tranny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts