Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I ordered a 30 spline posi from yukon now, and would like to get specs on 30 spline axles for my 10 bolt 8.5 (its out of an early nova actually - direct bolt in for my car)..

Firstly are the pass and drive side axles the same length? Dont know why i thought they were different but I could be wrong (rockauto shows both the same)..

Secondly - whats the 2.780" Hub all about? I do plan to drop in discs at the same time form a gen 3 camaro - do I get/avoid this? I presume its the wheel hub they are referring to?

Will these axles work? Seem to have all the same specs/rim pattern but 30 spline -

https://www.moserengineering.com/10...68-72-chevelle-el-camino-and-monte-carlo.item

1970-1981 Camaro
Rear End: 10-Bolt Chevy
Spline Count: 30
Length: 30 1/16" long,
Bolt Pattern(s): (2) 5 x 4 3/4
TAP 1/2 X 20 & .453 HOLE

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
the 2.78 diameter is the brake drum register hub. Should be the same.
If you do a disc brake make sure the outer wheel flange diameter is no more than about 6.25 so that the rotor will fit over it.

·
Registered
74 Nova Custom
13 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
gosh dangit- i ordered 30-1/16 ones late last night. Meh. Guess ill have to pull one and see- I thought the 2nd gen and nova 10 bolt 8.5 were the same.. yet somewhere in my brain i recall sth about the 2 axles on the gen 2 being different lengths. Ill try grab a code off it this morning-

it was 11 years ago - maybe i just swapped the gears at the time - ill have to confirm.

Also- I have spicer HD uj bearings I put in new- will the stock pinion yoke hold up to 500hp / posi/ drag slicks (no transbrake launches)? And the stock bolts? thinking of popping in some arps there but if the stock ones will hold i wont bother-

I have the HD posi diff kit for the 30 spline from yukon on the way- just as well noted a small leak on pinion seal (its been in there a long time!) Do I use the posi additive during break in too and change everything after a few hundred miles? then ill grab 2 bottles..

·
Registered
74 Nova Custom
13 Posts
It's probably most important that you find the code on the rear end to see exactly what you have... because all Nova (and 1st Gen Camaro) rear ends have different dimensions then the 2nd Gen Camaro (1970-1981) rear end.
If you do have a 8.5" 10 Bolt rear end that came from a Nova, it probably won't fit into your 2nd Gen Camaro.
Font Diagram Circle Logo Design

Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Diagram

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yikes relief - looks like i kept the original axle - 2PA G069.. I remember it was a 2.73 open from the inline 6.. so the axles I ordered should be correct!

Mine is a 8.5 10 bolt with the square lower flange... like this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts